Guitar recommendation needed

Collings Fan

Guitar recommendation needed

Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:08 am

First off, thank you to the folks responsible for bringing back the Collings Guitar forum. It is much appreciated!

I'd like to purchase a Collings electric guitar, but I'm having trouble deciding which model would be best for me. (I'm not a professional musician, btw).

I intend to play mostly classic rock with the Collings guitar. I enjoy listening to and playing a wide variety of artists including The Eagles, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Tom Petty, Dire Straits/Mark Knoppler, Bob Seger, Bruce Springsteen, and many other classic rock artists from the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. I enjoy some blues; don't play jazz really, and don't care for heavy metal, punk, etc.

Obviously not any 1 guitar can really replicate all the sounds by these and other artists. But I think I'd like a pretty versatile Collings electric that can sound reasonably good on a wide range of classic rock music. At first, I was thinking the Collings 360 ST might fit the bill cause I've always liked the single coil sounds of most Fender Strats, and they are pretty versatile. But then I read about the 290's, the CLs, and even the I-35LC and now I'm thoroughly confused which direction I should be looking.

I'd appreciate any advice on which Collings models (and pickups?) I should focus on....
THanks in advance.

FreeBlues

Re: Guitar recommendation needed

Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:03 pm

Tough question. As you know, there is a lot more that goes into the equation than just the guitar - amp, effects, player, etc. In fact, I'd say the guitar is maybe the least important variable in the equation.

But, that aside, I've owned an I35LC, CLDlx and, now a 290. For me, the 290 does just about everything the previous Collings guitars did, and more. There are some caveats, however. First, I did a bunch of pickups swaps, not liking the Lollars that originally came with the guitar. I wanted something that got me closer to a single coil type tone, finally ended up with the Lollar Alnico Pole in the neck and a Wizz in the bridge. Odd combo I know, but these were the best - for me - in their respective positions. I suspect the Lollar low wind pickups might have done the trick for me, but I didn't try them.

Second, for true single coil, Strat-like tones, nothing comes close except the real deal. My other electric is a Strat style guitar. It is not interchangeable with the 290, no overlap at all. With these two I can cover every sound I need.

Finally, back to the amp thing. Perhaps the best purchase I've made in terms of electric guitar is a modeler, in my case the Kemper. I now have virtually every amp (and effect) ever made at my fingertips and can easily dial up almost any tone I could ever want. Far be it from me to talk you out of buying a (Collings) guitar, but if I could offer one recommendation, I'd say look to the amp maybe first. And, look to a good modeler instead of a great amp. Better yet, get the guitar you want AND a modeler!

elambo

Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:46 pm

Tough question. Your influences play a variety of guitars so no single axe would give you everything. The best Collings for the task? Personally, I'd not go with the CL. The I-35 is my favorite Collings, and one of my favorite guitars period, but in this case I'd also look closely at the 290.

Pulling back and considering every brand, I'd also be looking at Fender Custom Shop Strats. They're awfully versatile, and Fender CS is making quality guitars these days. I can't speak to the regular line -- I know they've had issues in the past but might have cleared that up, I just happen to connect with their CS line since quality and tone are solid and consistent.

Collings Fan

Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:11 pm

Thank you for your input! I'll study more on the Collings 290s. I had also thought about a nice Strat but after playing my Collings acoustic quite a bit, I have some trouble playing cleanly on a electric guitar with a narrower nut width (like most Strats). So, in addition to the Collings quality, I was thinking it'd be nice to have guitars with the same string spacing. Maybe, I could put a neck with a slightly wider nut width on a Strat. Perhaps if I switched back and forth between guitars more regularly, I'd get used to both and it wouldn't be an issue. But like a lot of folks, I never seem to have as much time to play as I'd like.

I appreciate your help.

backdrifter

Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:25 pm

I think you need to play these guitars and see which one speaks to you. You can play everything that you’ve mentioned on any Collings electric. I’ve owned a CL Deluxe, Soco (solid wood), 290, Eastside, and now a 360. Everyone of them has been great, but ultimately I’ve learned that I just don’t love humbuckers. I’m a Strat guy, so naturally the 360 is my favorite. The 290 was a close second though, and I think both of these guitars are hugely versatile.

Another reason to actually get your hands on them before deciding - in my opinion, specs can never fully capture the actual feel of a neck. Collings electric necks seem to feel wider and roomier to me than the specs suggest that they should be. I don’t know if that’s because of the 12” radius or string spacing, but I’ve never felt cramped on one. Also, the necks vary. I liked the 290 neck, but didn’t love the Eastside neck. In theory they should be similar, but the Eastside felt much larger to me. It wasn’t just the size though - I have a Waterloo WL14 with the largest neck I own and I love it - but I couldn’t bond with that particular shape for some reason. On the other hand, the slight V neck of the 360 feels like it was tailor-made for my hand!

Make the trek to a good Collings dealer and try all of their electrics, and I suspect your decision will clear as day.

zeke

Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:32 am

i'm primarily an acoustic player, but also own an I-35LC and a 290DC-S (lollar pickups on both). these two electrics complement each other really well. the necks are pretty similar (i think most electric players would say they're chunky). i like 'em. they're not too different from the neck on a collings 0-1 i have (short scale, 1-11/16" at the nut), but they feel more "rounded". the fretboard radius is probably different. try to play some at your local shop.

Collings Fan

Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:04 am

You all are giving me good advice. I sincerely appreciate your insight.

joafink2

Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:23 pm

My vote is for an I35 LC with ThroBak pickups. It's the only Collings electric that I've owned, but it can do everything (with the right amp and pedals of course). My favorite electric guitar at the moment.

markT

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:27 pm

Collings Fan wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:08 am
I intend to play mostly classic rock with the Collings guitar. I enjoy listening to and playing a wide variety of artists including The Eagles, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Tom Petty, Dire Straits/Mark Knoppler, Bob Seger, Bruce Springsteen, and many other classic rock artists from the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. I enjoy some blues; don't play jazz really, and don't care for heavy metal, punk, etc.

I read about the 290's, the CLs, and even the I-35LC and now I'm thoroughly confused which direction I should be looking.

I'd appreciate any advice on which Collings models (and pickups?) I should focus on....

I recommend the I-30LC...

My first Collings was the 290. Great and very versatile guitar. Next I got an I-35LC. Another great humbucker guitar although not quite as versatile as the P-90 equipped 290.

My I-30LC is the only Collings I’ve ever ordered to build. Aged Blonde with plain top & dark fingerboard.
I sold my 290 AND my I-35LC after receiving the I-30LC! It has all the versatility of the 290 with the Lollar P-90, plus all the fatness of the I-35. Yet more open and lively. Plus being fully hollow, it’s lighter than both as well.

It would fit your description you laid out above perfectly.

A most amazing instrument.

markT

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:57 pm