Repaired top crack(s)- effect on sound

woodenuff

Repaired top crack(s)- effect on sound

Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:40 am

I have a 000-2H with two repaired top cracks- center seam and an inch away towards the bass bout. I knowingly received the guitar this way. I'm wondering if or how much this may be affecting the sound. The guitar sounds fine to me but I have no point of reference. A local repair shop says the repairs were well done and all is well. They didn't think there was an impact on the sound. Your thoughts?
Thx in advance
Harmon

Mr. Jelly

Re: Repaired top crack(s)- effect on sound

Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:36 pm

I do see where the vintage guitar people don't touch this subject. They pay BIG money for vintager guitars and top cracks and it's affect on the sound isn't something they appear to be concerned with.

Frank Sanns

Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:16 pm

There is already a glue joint down the center of essentially all guitars.

Often, cracks are formed from too much tension in the guitar top. While this sounds bad, consider the head of a drum. When the tension is low, the drum will not be as loud, be a little duddy, and will lack sustain. At proper tension it will become lively and responsive with great sustain. Cracks, unless from inherently weak wood or mechanical damage, may be an indication of a top with good tension and sound properties. The glue just stops the cracks from propagating and relieving too much tension.

I have a previously owned Robert Ruck spruce/EIR classical guitar with cracks out near the rim that I purchased that way. The glue was a good mehcanical repair but visually, it can easily be seen in the French polish. It sounds phenomenal and I had choices of other guitar but this one sounded the best. Very lively and I am totally happy with it.

As long as the rest of the guitar is well built and the repair is good mechanically, I would not hesitate to purchase a guitar with repaired cracks. I am sure the purists are cringing as it is not pristine looking but oh the sound and response!

Slowlearner

Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:07 pm

I have an old 1930s Stella concert which has a repaired top crack, side crack and some issues near the neck. Despite this it is amazingly loud (compares well to my Collings) and resonant - the tone is amazing. Lots of factors for sure but the cracks don’t seem to be affecting it unduly.