Is Collings changing after Bill?

pto

Re: Is Collings changing after Bill?

Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:10 am

eeeeasy now, hokie. nobody, but nobody is stirring any pots on this board, at least in this incarnation. we don't want any drama.

Dwain

Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:11 am

If it was not for me being close to and having all the friends I do at Collings and knowing what has gone on in the past, I might feel the same and be wondering.

Since I was close and was able to go into Collings a few times a week and lucky enough to be included in on many conversations and know who does what there and how so much of the company works it leaves me with a little different prospective. The people who have been doing the R/D, building, and working through all facets of bringing new models and design improvements to the instruments are still there doing it every day.

CMEkarlneurauter

Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:47 pm

Absolutely not. I've seen plenty of guitars arrive to our store after Bill's passing - they are just as amazing and special as you'd expect a Collings to be. When touring the factory, everyone there is really passionate about maintaining Bill's vision and level of excellence. Buy with confidence.

elambo

Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:33 pm

After the price increase I believe it was the profit margin which was in question, not the quality. In any case, it seems from those close to Collings that it was merely conversation and nothing to be concerned about.

jljohn

Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:16 pm

Regarding price increases: I'd be curious to see how much Collings' prices have increased relative to the inflation index. Does anyone have a price list from end 2008/beginning 2009 to compare to the new 2019 prices? How much more do the base-level and best selling models cost (say the D1 and the D2? Since the D1 and 2 have returned to using TKL cases, and their prices decreased a little this year--per Dwain's post above--this should be a fair comparison point) Across the US market as a whole, goods cost 12.235% more at the start of 2019 than they did at the start of 2009. Have Collings guitars' prices increased more than that?

pjkesq

Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:17 am

elambo wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:18 am The story is very common. Apple's is one of the most well-known, where the original visionary spent his life building an immensely positive and trustworthy brand, only to find that the next CEO cashed in on that brand power after his death. It has happened with many companies, and quite a few in the music business (I'm witnessing Moog and the loudspeaker company Thiel go through this very thing in this decade). There were many discussions about the next stage of Collings since we first heard about Bill's sickness, and the near-unanimous feeling was that his legacy would continue untarnished and (relatively) untouched.

Not until today did I even question this. It was a mention of the recent price increases and lack of innovations at last weekend's NAMM show that put the thought in my head that maybe things are changing. Admittedly, I know less than some of you about the new innerworkings down in Austin, and those guys are amazing and ambitious and dedicated and responsible, so I'm not looking to knock them or point fingers, but I am curious to know if anyone else has a similar fear that Collings might be making some changes with regard to their business model. Changes that will feel less like Bill's "Collings Guitars" -- more polished and popular and aimed at using the existing equity of the Collings name.

Another person mentioned that they're not sure who the typical Collings customer is with these new prices and I understand that thought. They begins to flirt heavily with a higher degree of handbuilt boutique guitars than they did before. If I were to start over again today I wouldn't have been able to obtain as many Collings-branded guitars as I did the first time around and I'm not alone.

It's just something to think about.
I have been thinking long and hard about this one. I just received a custom Collings that I waited 7 months for. Yes, it was expensive and I am very lucky to be able to afford it. I think the company has to figure out pricing and where the numbers lie that will drive sales down. The cost of living, raw materials and the general price of doing business goes up yearly. I think this is reflected in the price increases. I am sure that the Collings people who crunch the numbers have a target set in terms of their profit margin. If they thought that the price increases would drive business down, they wouldn't do it. Obviously there is a market out there for people who are buying these guitars and can afford to pay for them.

That being said, I think the most important question is the product. Has the product or customer service changed with the passing of Bill? I am here to say that in my opinion it has not. I have been in touch with Angela wade during the process of getting my guitar. In an email to me about the build process, Angela said the following:

"Every acoustic guitar goes through the hands of 15 (or so) different people. Each luthier at Collings specializes in their particular job and through repetition of preforming that 1 job, they contribute to the consistency of the final product. It's definitely a team effort! It's a production process that Bill Collings set up to allow us to build the most consistent instruments."

It is not like Bill was building the guitars. He chose the most talented Luthiers and set up a system to ensure quality and most importantly CONSISTENCY. In my humble opinion, that is what sets Collings apart from other builders. Whether it is Martin, Gibson, Santa Cruz or Goodall, I have played guitars from these builders that I have felt were CLUNKERS. I can honestly say that I have never played a collings that I had that feeling about. (and I have played countless collings!)

I am absolutely thrilled with my new guitar and I think Bill set up a system that will allow them to continue their history of excellence.

kerrykrishna

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:04 am

I have something too confess: Facebook is down, and I was looking for something to do, so here I am.

Elambo and Frank, the site looks terrific, and I hope that for me, the site becomes what it was in the past with me being here everyday. All that said, a few things.

I contacted Steve about two weeks after Bill passed, asking who was now going to be in charge, .Long and short of that was that he said no decisions had yet been made, but there would be an announcement some point I guess that has not happened. It seems that it has been a seamless transition though, with Bill's wishes being put before anything else. Kudos to those amazing folks on that team
As far as the price increase goes, it seems to me to be about the only change that I have seen.
At this point in my life, I have two world class guitars and a world class mandolin too. The chance of me ever buying a New Collings is approaching 0% as retirement approaches ( in 10 years!) I have other things to put my cash against.
Folks wanting to get a brand new Collings, who have had their heart set on that giant financial goal, just had the goalposts moved a bit. After reading the entire thread, (Elambos comments are what stick out) I think newbies getting into Collings guitars for the first time are pretty much only going to be getting used axes.

pto

Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:14 pm

The chance of me ever buying a New Collings is approaching 0% as retirement approaches ( in 10 years!)

HA! :) that's what i thought, and i'm well into retirement. :) and yes, they are just as fabulous as ever.

Haasome

Tue May 07, 2019 6:53 pm

I just received an email from The Music Emporium announcing the price increases on all Collings & Waterloo guitars effective June 1 and ——— “Collings has also ceased production of their own vintage-style cases. ”
Paul

Greg Y

Tue May 07, 2019 7:43 pm

" I think newbies getting into Collings guitars for the first time are pretty much only going to be getting used axes."
Kerry, nice to see you here. I think your statement about "newbies" makes some assumptions about people's personal finances.
Just because someone is new to Collings, or to guitar playing for that matter, doesn't mean that they don't have the means....
I was having this conversation with Steve McCreary just a few days ago. Some of us remember when we only had one guitar, and maybe
we had to save up for it....