Collings Traditional

doogiehouser

Collings Traditional

Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:05 am

Hello everyone,

It has been a couple years now since Collings began production on their T-Series guitars. What is the verdict on these?
I don't see too many of these out in the Pre-Owned market, so that must be a good sign if folks are holding on to them.. though I imagine there
are not too many out there relative to the number of Standard line acoustics that Collings Produces.

I have an OM1A-T from early 2017 that I just love more everytime I take it out of the case. Is everyone else still jiving with theirs, and what do you have?
Also, do you imagine they will expand on this line?

Cheers!

Christian

shotzy

Re: Collings Traditional

Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:46 pm

I think everything Collings produces is outstanding, including the Traditional series. However, my opinion is that the traditional line represents a slightly different voicing and feel than the standard series that is neither better nor worse, and is likely Collings' response to the golden era / vintage mania that is all the rage today. I have tried several Collings traditional OMs -- and even briefly owned an OM1T that was later returned (ended up keeping my standard OM1A). Contrary to my expectations, I have found that I generally prefer the tone, look and feel of the standard series. My personal speculation (which is perhaps contrarian) is that in 40 years, the standard Collings models of recent past will be the most revered due to their unique voicing and builds that Bill spent decades perfecting, less so for the traditional line. If I decide I want an older sounding guitar someday, I'll likely buy an older guitar, not a vintage-inspired recreation. YMMV
----------------------------------
Collings OM1AT
Santa Cruz OM Grand (German / EIR)

My youtube guitar channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj1rzB ... 3l6XeRMktQ

f5joe

Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:58 pm

The nice thing about Collings is you pretty much can get any type of acoustic. I have a '95 D2HBAAAA, Brazilian, herringbone, red spruce that Bill voiced the top bracing on ...... spectacular on all accounts. I have a new 2018 D1AT Baked that really competes side-by-side with old '30's D-18's. I love the overall feel of this new guitar and, especially, the neck.

Experience all you can for yourself.

Jeff Mc

Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:08 am

Any ideas on what an OM1-T is worth? It is a couple of years old and mint or nearly so. I love the guitar, but have an oppotunity to buy a boutique OM at a bargain price. If I do, this one and a Martin custom shop OM must go.

Peanut73

Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:38 pm

If it's a straight up sitka OM1T, and mint, you're looking at $3200-$3600. There are a few used OM1Ts with Adirondack tops that have languished in the market at $4k-$4.5k. Even though Collings just raised their prices, the used market hasn't adjusted accordingly.