Collings Made Case Information *UPDATE*

pto

Re: Collings Made Case Information *UPDATE*

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:44 pm

yep on scgc. Richard told me a few years ago, "we're trying to figure out how to monetize what we do" (typical richard-speak if you know him).:) collings, up till last year, in my observation, was not charging as much "for what we do" as Santa Cruz.

Fidalgo

Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:47 pm

SCGC made a huge leap in price, as did Bourgeois. Collings has lagged behind and, even with this last year's price increase, has yet to reach the level of the other two. Huss and Dalton prices are also on the rise. There are still great prices to be found on used Collings, as well as the other three builders, if one doesn't want to pay full boat on a new model.

When I bought my D1T it came with a vintage case. I like it very much. At $1000 retail, I think it is overpriced, but there is no other source for anything like them. It is solely unique, and that comes with a price.

pto

Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:22 am

perhaps rephrasing "over-priced," to "the price is (understandably) too high" for many to justify? it is the cost to Collings the drives all of their pricing, and the cases originally carried virtually no margin, if any, when they were introduced. the cases would probably be the first to go if they couldn't add enough profit to make it worth their while. i look at them as a luxury item, sort-of. the TKLs are more of a necessary tool, and the relative price reflects that.
Last edited by pto on Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

6l6

Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:42 pm

I love everything about gear manufactured by Collings. In fact, I've never played a Collings instrument I didn't LOVE!

I think the cases in question are quite cool, but IMO nothing beats the value of a HISCOX Pro II case. For under $300 you get exceptional strength, very light weight, and "D" rings to hook a strap to for easy carrying.

All eight of my acoustics (including my 2013 D2H and 2014 D2HA) now live in Hiscox Pro II cases. My 74 year old back thanks me every time I pick one up. Heck, even United Airlines hasn't been able to harm my guitars when flying from San Francisco to London and back twice/yr. That says a LOT!

But "Hats Off" to the GREAT folks at Collings who continue Bill's legacy of building the finest guitars on planet earth. If it's Collings, it's ALL GOOD!

Bill

gemcity

Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:50 pm

Update after 20 months and COVID:
Andy at TME told me Collings will continue to make their traditional cases as they have available humanpower, which is NOT now. So perhaps in a year some new ones may become available?
I guess the good news is that it is not uncommon for not-so-old used D1ATs to come with a trad case. TME has two for sale (well, one--I'm buying the other).
I got a look-around the factory while they were working on my AT-16 and visited the case shop, where Waterloos were also made, in the second building over Bill's hotrod garage (and he was down there ordering some kind of rod for car parts?). I had a trad case for my '96 CW and it was so elegant, like an Italian suit for the guitar. Of course it could never leave the house!

GreatWestern

Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:43 am

That’s great to hear. Sounds like it might be some time before any new cases are available.

markT

Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:15 pm

My dream is that they would someday make these cases for their electric line. Mark A told me he'd like that too. Maybe one day.. Just for the acoustics would be fine regardless.

My favorite case ever. I have and have had one for all my Collings acoustics. I only have two at the current time. My new CJ45AT and my "old" D1AT. :)

TravH

Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:35 pm

gemcity wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:50 pm Update after 20 months and COVID:
Andy at TME told me Collings will continue to make their traditional cases as they have available humanpower, which is NOT now. So perhaps in a year some new ones may become available?
I guess the good news is that it is not uncommon for not-so-old used D1ATs to come with a trad case. TME has two for sale (well, one--I'm buying the other).
I got a look-around the factory while they were working on my AT-16 and visited the case shop, where Waterloos were also made, in the second building over Bill's hotrod garage (and he was down there ordering some kind of rod for car parts?). I had a trad case for my '96 CW and it was so elegant, like an Italian suit for the guitar. Of course it could never leave the house!

Nope!

I spoke directly with Collings when I bought mine a few months back. I forget who exactly I spoke with but he assured me the cases are done and will not be coming back.

While things change I'd suggest not holding your breath and look in the used market.

Greg Y

Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:15 pm

gemcity wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:50 pm I had a trad case for my '96 CW and it was so elegant, like an Italian suit for the guitar. Of course it could never leave the house!
Gem, like the italian suit (BTW a great analogy)....the case doesn't serve it's purpose very well staying in the cupboard.
I also concur with TravH. I heard it from Steve McCreary that the cases won't be making a comeback. They are however, a beautiful reminder of Bill's genius.