Collings Made Case Information *UPDATE*

markT

Collings Made Case Information *UPDATE*

Wed May 15, 2019 9:59 pm

After seeing all the chat about the case changes in another thread, I was on the phone with Mark Althans yesterday. (Collings Repair Manager, awesome guitarist and all around great guy.) He gave me permission to share the lowdown.

Information has gotten misconstrued and twisted from source to source and dealer to dealer.

The truth from him is, the cases are being discontinued from shipping with any guitar they make. They are not discontinuing production. They also are not being offered as an upgrade when ordering a Collings.
They ARE, however going to be sold as an accessory. So...if you want a Collings made case, you can buy it after the fact. I'm sure this is all subject to change. But as of yesterday, this is the word.

It's unfortunate, but economics was the deciding factor. A lot of folks are fine with the TKL's. I for one am not. Therefore, I have Collings made cases. :mrgreen:

The choice is yours. After the fact.

elambo

Re: Collings Made Case Information *UPDATE*

Wed May 15, 2019 10:13 pm

Thanks for the clarification!

Haasome

Wed May 15, 2019 10:18 pm

markT wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:59 pm After seeing all the chat about the case changes in another thread, I was on the phone with Mark Althans yesterday. (Collings Repair Manager, awesome guitarist and all around great guy.) He gave me permission to share the lowdown.

Information has gotten misconstrued and twisted from source to source and dealer to dealer.

The truth from him is, the cases are being discontinued from shipping with any guitar they make. They are not discontinuing production. They also are not being offered as an upgrade when ordering a Collings.
They ARE, however going to be sold as an accessory. So...if you want a Collings made case, you can buy it after the fact. I'm sure this is all subject to change. But as of yesterday, this is the word.

It's unfortunate, but economics was the deciding factor. A lot of folks are fine with the TKL's. I for one am not. Therefore, I have Collings made cases. :mrgreen:

The choice is yours. After the fact.
Thanks Mark. Do you know if they will be sold direct from Collings or through dealers?
Paul

markT

Wed May 15, 2019 10:23 pm

^^^ I was actually speaking with him about another topic and wanted to get the quick story on the cases. I didn't ask that specific question Paul.

pto

Wed May 15, 2019 11:37 pm

exactly what steve told me 4 weeks ago, and what Adam at TME reiterated after the confusing Caruso email.:) the goal is to keep the legacy intact as well as make money... as it was, it was a money loser even before it became a bottleneck. GREAT news though. thanks for posting. just think, if there were, all of a sudden, a bunch of orders which included the case as an upgrade, instead of as an after-the-sale accessory, the case could become a guitar bottleneck again, as it was all last year. good for Collings working through the logistics and keepin 'er goin':) i LOVE those cases.

JohnB

Thu May 16, 2019 3:06 am

[/quote]

Thanks Mark. Do you know if they will be sold direct from Collings or through dealers?
[/quote]

Steve wrote me that they would be sold "directly to individuals."

markT

Sun May 19, 2019 12:20 am

More info from an email from Artisan Guitars:

"Production of their handcrafted cases has been an enormous challenge. Imagine trying to build the exact model case to fit a specific guitar, timed for simultaneous completion. Moving forward all new Collings guitars and mandolins will be accompanied by a TKL case.

In the near future, their legendary handcrafted cases will be available for ordering independently, directly from Collings. Look for more information on this project in the months ahead."

Haasome

Sun May 19, 2019 12:59 am

I got that email today too. I’m glad this is cleared up. Thanks Mark.
Paul

Peanut73

Thu May 23, 2019 9:06 pm

How much will cases be now? I've heard a rumor of $1100.

elambo

Thu May 23, 2019 10:53 pm

Peanut73 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:06 pm How much will cases be now? I've heard a rumor of $1100.
At that price I think they'd sell very few.