Yet another thread about strings!?

Silly Moustache

Yet another thread about strings!?

Wed May 15, 2019 11:42 pm

I played my first "paid" gig tonight, with Mando Bob.

It was in a smallish club, audience of about 40-50. They had a p.a., but I preferred to take my Bose L1 (the smallest model), and we used just a Rode large condenser mic between the two of us through a mini-mixer mainly just to provide the phantom power.

It worked beautifully: I asked Nanny Jane (wifey) about the sound on the way home and she said, it sounded just lioke when you play acoustically but a bit louder, and we certainlty had the full attention of the audience.

We should have had our bass player but he was away, so we did it as a duo.

Despite my hand problems and my "new" post cancer voice, we managed pretty well and went down very well, but ... I couldn't help feeling that my '03 DS1Asb sounded a little thin.

Ever since I got my first Collings in 1999, I've used D'addarios, but I got a batch of Martin SPs and that was on it tonight.

(Now I'm getting to my point) : I know from the original forum, that most of youse guys prefer John Pearse, PBs which I feel sound a little warmer that Daddarios, and now I think the Martin SPs are a little brighter than D'adds.

So, I've come up with a theory (which is my own, cough)

Collings guitars are well balanced and so Warmer JPs sound nicer to most.

Martin guitars are somewhat more bass biased, so Martin strings ope them up a little.

D'addario are the middle wine, fairly neutral compared to the others, (and probably cheaper to get in quantity for a maker like Collings).

What do you think ?

markT

Re: Yet another thread about strings!?

Thu May 16, 2019 1:06 pm

Silly Moustache wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:42 pm
Collings guitars are well balanced and so Warmer JPs sound nicer to most.
I’m in the JP camp.

On a side note..... I rewatched your revised how to video on restringing a slotted headstock the other night while stringing up my ne little 01 T Mh 12 Fret. Mainly to get the wrap on the two E strings correct, Got it now. Thank you Andy. 8-)

remco

Fri May 17, 2019 5:50 pm

Bonjour Silly,
For me it's Pyramid or Newtone : round cores PB on my D2h and D1.
Bon rétablissement à toi.
Rémi

Greg Y

Fri May 17, 2019 6:58 pm

Remi, Newtone & Pyramid are also my favourite strings on every guitar. I also prefer the round core, 80/20....although the PB from both brands are much richer & less metallic sounding than the common brands

marc51

Sun May 19, 2019 4:30 pm

I put a set of Tomasik-Infled Plectrum's, 11-50, AC111, on my Collings Maple Baby, and they are awesome. I was going to sell the Baby, as it was just a little too bright, but these strings have brought out the best in her!
m

Silly Moustache

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:57 pm

Not that it matters to anyone else here, but what I meant to say was it was my first "paid gig" since before my throat cancer in 2017, so, it good to be back in the saddle as it were.

Funny, I was a bit nervous before we went on, (can't remember the last time I was nervous!) but as soon as we hit the first intro, I was off and running.