Collings Playability

elambo

Re: Collings Playability

Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:37 pm

JohnB wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:22 pmAfter the Collings coached set-up, the guitar came back playing beautifully and sounding terrific.
Now THAT is interesting. So, with regard to setup, Collings is doing something different than some luthiers. I wonder what it is. What advice to Collings provide?

nocaster

Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:41 pm

JohnB, that's great to hear. Did your tech share with you what may have caused the problem? I always adjust my nut and saddle as low as possible and have my necks fairly straight. I don't have that guitar anymore as I have gone mahogany full-time (vacation and sick days included).

JohnB

Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:43 am

From what I understand, it was just a matter of dialing the relief and the action in together--but I really didn't ask for details. I was just thrilled to get back what was essentially a new, now playable, and great sounding, guitar. It doesn't sound like it was that big of a deal; but I imagine something that techs don't pay close attention to when someone (like me) just asks for action to be lowered; or, maybe, when someone simply asks for a particular degree of relief. I'm way over my head here, so I'll stop guessing.