Traditional Series Neck Size Change

JohnFrink

Re: Traditional Series Neck Size Change

Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:25 pm

howthewestwas1 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:10 pm Can anyone describe the differences between the older and newer necks? Thanks!
My OM2H T #2637x is 0.89” at the first fret, while OM2H T #2744x is 0.81”

In April 2018 Mark Althans said in response to a question – “Indeed, there were actually a few neck carve incarnations early on within the evolution of our Traditional series. We documented these changes to the best of our ability, but we've discovered recently that it can be difficult to pinpoint which T neck version was on some guitars.”
Bourgeois OM CB HS, Collings OM1T, OM1Mh, OM3Mh, RainSong CH-OM-N2, Santa Cruz OM

howthewestwas1

Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:55 pm

Flakyfoont wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:19 pm "Originals were quite chunky. We trimmed the profile down quite a bit." This is what Mark wrote to me.
Thanks for the info!
JohnFrink wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:25 pm
howthewestwas1 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:10 pm Can anyone describe the differences between the older and newer necks? Thanks!
My OM2H T #2637x is 0.89” at the first fret, while OM2H T #2744x is 0.81”

In April 2018 Mark Althans said in response to a question – “Indeed, there were actually a few neck carve incarnations early on within the evolution of our Traditional series. We documented these changes to the best of our ability, but we've discovered recently that it can be difficult to pinpoint which T neck version was on some guitars.”
Thanks for the numbers! I'm curious if you feel like your thicker neck on has more shoulder to the neck? I love the neck profile on my 01T but would love it more if it had a bit more meat in the shoulders. Thanks!

JohnFrink

Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:01 am

howthewestwas1 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:55 pm Thanks for the numbers! I'm curious if you feel like your thicker neck on has more shoulder to the neck? I love the neck profile on my 01T but would love it more if it had a bit more meat in the shoulders. Thanks!
Yes, I believe the deeper profile has fatter shoulders. I like the new T profile just fine, but my hand actually works better with the deeper, chunkier, profile; wrap-around chords are easier, cleaner, somehow. I've measured three 2016 OM2H T necks at 0.88, 0.89, and 0.91" at the first fret. Chunky T necks are my favorites.
Bourgeois OM CB HS, Collings OM1T, OM1Mh, OM3Mh, RainSong CH-OM-N2, Santa Cruz OM

wet in davis

Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:39 pm

Just learned of this… I must have an early one because the neck on mine is huge… I like a big neck but this is really big. Has Bills signature on the label which is cool…

buckaroo

Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:02 pm

I had the good fortune to play several of the early Collings T models at a local shop in Lawrence, Kansas. The shop has a "well established relationship" with Collings and I have known the owner for several decades. Those early T models had very thick necks! I recall that after awhile the neck thickness actually began to cause a bit of playing fatigue for me (and I play mid 50's Gibson electrics with very fat necks that cause me no playing issues).

I think several dealers noted this construction characteristic and gave prompt feedback to Collings who then evolved the current neck shape. I will say that despite those thick necks, those early traditional models were amazing sonically and supremely light weight. A few had Madagascar Rosewood body wood with Adi tops. I bought an OM2H MRAT just after the neck thickness evolution resolved. I was told that it was among the last OM models produced with MR and among the first shipped without Bill Collings signature on the label. I bought it the week of his passing. It is a steller instrument. At that time the T case was still included with the guitar.

One observation I have made is that there are increasingly more Collings acoustic models emerging with ebony that has lighter streaks on the fingerboards and rosewood head stocks with a lot of contrasting (light/dark) streaks. IMO these elements are a little less attractive visually; though, I am sure they are built as good as ever and play well with great sound. I am not knocking these guitars, just noting a visual difference from my consumer vantage.

The trads sound different than the original models to me. I like that the models have sonic variety. I wonder which models history will cherish most... the originals or the trads?

Buckaroo

Mwyates

Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:44 pm

I wonder why the change in neck size was so drastic? The new T’s are much too small for me, and I don’t have big hands.

I bought one of the early OM’s with the original neck. Loved it, but decided I needed a D. That was a great guitar but I soon realized that D’s aren’t comfortable for me any longer, so I sold it and bought an OM1AT. It sounded wonderful, but had the skinny neck. I didn’t enjoy playing it.

I looked for another OM T with a big neck, but gave up after a while. My OM2G with Collings’ standard neck is just fine.

Eric Jones

Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:11 pm

Mwyates wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:44 pm. I bought an OM1AT...had the skinny neck.
Did it have the optional 1-11/16” nut width?
Mwyates wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:44 pm My OM2G with Collings’ standard neck is just fine.
Is it 1-3/4” nut width?

Mwyates

Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:28 pm

Eric Jones wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:11 pm
Mwyates wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:44 pm. I bought an OM1AT...had the skinny neck.
Did it have the optional 1-11/16” nut width?
Mwyates wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:44 pm My OM2G with Collings’ standard neck is just fine.
Is it 1-3/4” nut width?
1 3/4” nut on both. I’m fine playing a 1 11/16” nut, though. It’s the thickness and shoulders I don’t care for on the new T necks.

JohnB

Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:04 pm

buckaroo wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:02 pm
One observation I have made is that there are increasingly more Collings acoustic models emerging with ebony that has lighter streaks on the fingerboards and rosewood head stocks with a lot of contrasting (light/dark) streaks. IMO these elements are a little less attractive visually; though, I am sure they are built as good as ever and play well with great sound. I am not knocking these guitars, just noting a visual difference from my consumer vantage.

Buckaroo

Buckaroo,

While I'm sure the switch to the striped ebony was not for aesthetics, I find I greatly prefer the look. At least, if the guitar doesn't have a peghead inlay, the new ebony just seems more visually interesting to me. I can't say whether or not I'd prefer it with an inlay like a torch or rose--haven't seen one yet. It might just seem too busy. I suspect it will take awhile before folks become accustomed to it, but for me the new unpredictably colored ebony makes the guitars more attractive.

Greg Y

Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:34 am

I've always favoured (& had my guitars spec'd with) the old large vintage neck. I've had an 01 14 fret with a vintage now neck & a 0001g with 1 & 13/16" nut. I find the old or new T neck easy to play as long as it is 1 3/4" at the neck. As for aesthetics the change in ebony doesn't affect me at all. Here's a photo of a 0001g headstock with a figured ebony overlay and torch by Tom Ellis
IMG_3574.JPG
IMG_3574.JPG (121.91 KiB) Viewed 7089 times