Collings Idiosyncratic sound

elambo

Re: Collings Idiosyncratic sound

Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:25 pm

I don't experience the buzz but it still feels bridge pin and/or string ball end related to me.

Derek

Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:31 am

Where is this buzz (most obvious at 3 to 6 seconds in) coming from?
https://soundcloud.com/user-312654848/guitarbuzz

buckweston

Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:49 pm

So my issue went away with the smaller gauge strings. Regardless, I'm still not satisfied with the results.

Here's the thing: when I received the guitar, the previous owner had it strung with Santa Cruz Parabolic Medium tension strings and I noticed the buzz and thought that the guitar, being a 00 model shouldn't have the medium tension strings on it anyway, so I opted for DAddario lights (bronze). In changing the strings, I noted something I'd never done nor considered--the previous owner, while opting to pre-bend the ball ends prior to placing them in the bridge pins holes, just as I always have, also opted to turn some of the ballends relative to the end of the wound string. He did this instead of ensuring that the ball end string grove was always against the pin. In replacing the strings I opted to do the same, and, as I have already stated, there was buzzing present. In changing the strings again, though to a smaller gauge, I opted to make the bend with the ball end string slot/grove placed against the bridge pin (as I have always done on previous guitars). Again, the buzzing is gone, but I changed two variables, and I'm not convinced that the ball end wasn't the underlying issue in the first place.
Last edited by buckweston on Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Haasome

Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:08 pm

As the OP, I thought I should provide an update. I’ve virtually eliminated the faint sound by tweaking the truss rod 1/4 turn and using SCGC Mid-tension strings. The relief is still within spec, just not quite as low as I normally set up. I chose SCGC mid-tension because they are rated at 163 pounds, the same as other brands light gauge strings. As a result they feel great and give me a great tone with no rattle on the C100. And the guitar is easy to play.
Paul

Hokiebob

Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:11 am

So in summary, it was not a sound idiosyncratic to Collings. Just a case of not having the ideal relationship between setup and strings.

I'm glad that you were able to solve your problem.
Bob

Haasome

Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:59 am

First off, I would like to emphasize that it’s not a problem. So in that context:

Well, perhaps. I have 2 other Collings guitars (OMs) with the same characteristic and I won’t be eliminating the faint “rattle” using medium gauge strings or cranking up the relief on those. And I am unable to use light gauge strings on the C100. Based on my discussions with others, it seems there is a relationship that exists - at least for some people. Like I said, the condition is extremely minor, but peculiar. There are very few perfect guitars. And what I’ve experienced doesn’t diminish my appreciation for the brand. I posted the OP out of curiosity to see if others have had a similar experience.
Paul

elambo

Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:38 am

buckweston wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:49 pm In changing the strings again, though to a smaller gauge, I opted to make the bend with the ball end string slot/grove placed against the bridge pin (as I have always done on previous guitars). Again, the buzzing is gone, but I changed two variables, and I'm not convinced that the ball end wasn't the underlying issue in the first place.
Makes sense. This is part of the reason why I always bend the ball end (just above the end of the wrap, or about an inch and a half) to about 20 degrees, and so that the wrapped section is pointing upward as it's on top of the bridge. This helps ensure a solid fit within the guitar and also outside the bridge, and no vibrations against the pins.

pto

Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:30 am

i do it (bend the ball away from the pin) so that the ball doesn't nibble bit by bit at the opening of the slot underneath, particularly with string changes. Frank Ford suggested this to me way back in 1979. never looked back. seen some mighty chewed-up slots over the years, but not on my instruments.

Haasome

Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:43 am

I use Becker and Cumpiano to do a lot of my guitar maintenance and repair. Here is their take on installing steel strings.

It is their opinion that the vast majority of steel string guitar players fail to do a very simple but important procedure in the process of installing a new string. To optimize the volume of a guitar’s voice and avoid damage to the bridge it is necessary to bend the string in a specific manner before inserting it into the bridge pin holes. The location of the bend should be where the string exits the bridge pin hole. The way it was explained to me was that it was more important to bend the string at a point where the winding ends than which direction the barrel at the string end faces. The bend insures the correct orientation of the wrapped core when locked in place with bridge pin.

Illustrations here http://harrybecker.net/Luthier/Tips.html

Having said that, I use 2 other luthiers too. One likes the barrel of the string end to run parallel to the pin; the other prefers the barrel direction to run perpendicular.
Paul

pto

Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:05 am

that's pretty cool. never seen that.