Collings Idiosyncratic sound

stego

Re: Collings Idiosyncratic sound

Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:12 pm

I've been experiencing the same thing on my D2HG, a weird rattling sound coming from the bridge area. Particularly noticeable on the low E and A strings when playing above the 3rd or 4th fret (and it's very noticeable when capo'ing on the 3rd fret and strumming). I've been talking with local guitar repair techs and haven't gotten answers. Glad to know I'm not the only one! Has anyone found solutions or answers to this issue?

Cedar

Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:27 am

Haasome wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:40 pm Just to update — Mark Althans was kind enough to call me and is looking into it. Once again I’m reminded of why I love Collings & their commitment to customer satisfaction, design & details. As an aside, I’ve found the faint “rattle” sound is even more faint with medium gauge strings. So I’ll stick with those on the C100. Great guitar & im really enjoying this model.
Did you ever hear anything from Mark after that?

Haasome

Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:38 am

Yes he did. He called to discuss the issue with me and talked with people in QC. As I recall I found the “rattle” was tamed to my satisfaction with a combination of truss rod tinkering, so the discussion ended. I would encourage you to call Mark. It is helpful to players and Collings to become aware of this condition.

I will add, that I don’t ever hear it while I’m engaged in playing music.
Paul

heythereterry

Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:25 am

I just tried my Martin 000-28E Modern Deluxe and I get the sound...