Pickup for OM3A cutaway.

DavidLesage

Pickup for OM3A cutaway.

Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:58 pm

Hello everyone,

As a very happy owner of a brand new Collings OM3A cutaway guitar and as an unhappy owner of a guitar without a pickup, I am seeking your advice.

I know, I should have thought about it earlier, I should have had a pickup installed upon ordering of this great guitar. The harm is done. Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

I would like to know your advice about L.R. Baggs' Anthem and Lyric pickup systems. I would like to get one for my guitar. I would not install it myself. Should I expect the same kind of quality compared to a pickup installed at the factory or am I going to alter my guitar forever?

Thanks,

David

Hokiebob

Re: Pickup for OM3A cutaway.

Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:17 pm

When the Collings factory installs a pickup in an acoustic guitar it is added at the end of the build. Therefore. as long as the luthier does a quality job it should be the same either way.
Bob

law

Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:53 pm

Had a Trance Amulet installed on my CJ 35....Love it

http://www.tranceaudio.com/amulet.html

JohnFrink

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:18 am

DavidLesage wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:58 pm I would like to know your advice about L.R. Baggs' Anthem and Lyric pickup systems.
I put a Baggs Lyric in an OM2HT and an OM1Mh, with outstanding results. I've installed a lot of pickups over the years, and my OM's like their Lyrics a lot.

Hope this helps.
Bourgeois OM CB HS, Collings OM1T, OM1Mh, OM3Mh, RainSong CH-OM-N2, Santa Cruz OM

DavidLesage

Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:55 am

Hi again everyone.

Just a quick note to thank you for your very useful replies.

Kindest regards,

David

Frankie2blue

Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:34 pm

I guess it depends on how often you are going to play it out and need the pickup. I personally hate altering my guitars in any way, so I would never install a pickup or a strap button drilled into the guitar on one of mine. i really detest anything under the saddle as I always feel like it alters the acoustic sound some. I use a Fishman Rare Earth Blender soundhole pickup ( with the attached mic) when I’m playing out and remove it when I’m home. No alteration to the guitar and it sounds great with the blend of the magnetic pickup and the crown mic. Playing through a Bose System I always get complimented on my guitar sound.