truss rod adjustment

buckaroo

Re: truss rod adjustment

Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:24 pm

Frank Sanns wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:55 pm Ball end sockets are what Collings says to use but it is nearly impossible to make an adjustment with a straight version of one of them. It is due to the angle needed to get it and the inability to exert enough pressure to tighten or loosen a tight truss rod. Not tight as in over torqued but one that is not adjusted often. I do not fiddle with mine once they are adjusted so when it is time, they are hard to get moving. Trying to use the short end of the ball Allen is a lost cause. I am convinced it is impossible to get your hand in the right position through the sound hole to do the adjustment.

The most effective tool that I have used on Collings as well as others with an offset truss rod adjustment, is the offset wrench that came with my first Larrivee back in the day.
It has served me well over the years. Any similar offset tool will work. https://www.larrivee.com/shop/truss-rod ... d-old-size
I am not sure about the flat blade tip in a female hex nut. Larivee says that their size T2 fits the best in a Collings.

Frank Sanns

Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:50 pm

Yes, thanks for pointing that out. My offset definitely has a hex end (5/32" ) so it must be the T2 version.

dansprucefir

Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:12 pm

I bought one from Collings. Was easy to use.
Dan

buckaroo

Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:36 am

I confirmed with Larivee that the T2 is indeed the one. The image on their site looks like a flat blade but is a poor picture...the T2 is hex. I think that is the one I will get. Many thanks all.

Buck

Kuz

Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:30 pm

The $11 (I think) that I paid for the Collings allen wrench was the best money I have spent in a while. They make it with a longer handle so you can adjust the TR with the strings on and tuned to pitch. I struggled with smaller allen wrenches, like the ones shown, to fit in until I received my Collings one. Once I got the Collings TR wrench, I was able to adjust/tweek all three of my Collings acoustics with no problems.

DenverSteve

Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:36 pm

Well, if you haven't sold it yet, and are still going to, I would put the lights back on and leave the set up and playability where it was for a new owner.
Shalom, Steve
A Few World-Class Tools..........

pto

Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:01 am

as much as i love just about everything Collings, i like larivee's wrench way better. ergonomics. have them both.