Why Does Collings Ship Guitars and Cases Separately?

rudals1281

Why Does Collings Ship Guitars and Cases Separately?

Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:30 pm

I'm trying to wrap my head around this. It seems fishy but hopefully, it's nothing.

So I recently purchased a D2H from a local Collings dealer. The shop sold me the guitar but didn't come in the Collings case. The shop said Collings sent out the guitars without the cases because they were short on guitar cases. I didn't think too much of it. But they sold me the guitar in a cheap heavy guitar case. They proceeded to tell me a dealer that bought them in bulk and that I can just order it from them. Is this normal or is there something fishy going on here?

Fidalgo

Re: Why Does Collings Ship Guitars and Cases Separately?

Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:55 pm

I bought a D1T 7 months ago, and it came with a case. My DS1 came with a case. When I worked for a Collings dealer, 15-20 years ago, all the Collings instruments came with cases. Unless this is a new policy, something smells fishy. I think you should call Collings today.

Eric Jones

Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:45 am

Collings has stopped shipping/selling their guitars in the Collings-made cases. I assume they’re being sold again in the usual TKL cases. If you want a Collings-made case, you have to buy it separately, directly from Collings or from a dealer that might have some in stock.

Greg Y

Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:17 am

if it's a new D2H it should come in a Collings badged TKL case...

rudals1281

Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:58 pm

OP here. TKL case is what came with my D2H. I thought something was off but I guess now you have to buy the purpule cases separately for some reason. I eventually got one for $800. The case is very nice. I really hope it is worth the money. It is very light while providing solid protection.

Fidalgo

Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:09 pm

I like the standard issue TKL "Geib" styles cases, but the vintage style cases are beyond compare. There is nothing else like them. I have one for my D1T and wish they made one that fit my DS1.

DenverSteve

Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:23 pm

Greg Y wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:17 am if it's a new D2H it should come in a Collings badged TKL case...
This. It sounds like the dealer told you incorrectly. To my knowledge, from speaking directly with Collings, all guitar's come with either the standard case or Collings-made case. Some D-series guitars that used to come with the Collings-made cases now come with standard cases due to the popularity, and subsequent shortage of Collings-made cases. However, I believe, ALL Collings guitars include a case. That's a trick some guitar stores, including some big-box stores, use to "sell" you a case that comes from the factory with your guitar.
Shalom, Steve
A Few World-Class Tools..........