Fret wear/replacement

RNF

Fret wear/replacement

Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:30 am

Hey out there!
Love my German spruce short scale CJ. Really do.
A little too much maybe. I'm gonna need to replace some frets soon.
Any advise? I live just north of Boston.
Music Emporium (Lexington) says they will only service instuments that they sold.
Know of any top flight luthiers around here?
I was thinking of getting the fretting directly from Collings and providing it to the luthier.
I just my CJ rakky wekk taken care iof, Any recomendations?
Thanks
Ricky

Haasome

Re: Fret wear/replacement

Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:25 pm

I guess it depends on how obsessive a person might be; and how often you need this done. I would only need this done after 5+ years of hard use and would consider sending it back to Collings. I would also get their opinion about re-fretting using evo.
Paul

pto

Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:54 pm

Collings.

Greg Y

Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:02 pm

Ricky, Getting fretwire from Collings is the ticket. I'm sure someone will chime in with a suggestion for repair work in your area.

RNF

Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:01 pm

Whoa, I guess the drugs kicked in on the last sentence of my op.
Oops. Anyway,
Love the forum. Thanks.

I really appreciate the great responses!
Would not have known about EVO without your advise. I’m No longer in good touch with any serious guitarists.
Anyone re-fret a CJ or any other Collings Acoustic with EVO? Does it change the tone significantly?

I am inclined to ship the CJ to Collings, but I don’t want to be too obsessive (or do I?)

Also thanks to your comments, I’m hitting pause or re-fretting. I might be overreacting a little. I’m not getting a buzz yet. I’d include a photo, but I’ve never done it and it seems like it would take too long to figure it out right now.

I’m not a big money guy. However, I’m in love with this German SS CJ.

I no longer am interested in playing anything else. I’ll probably get over it someday, but I’m in no hurry.

Thanks again!

Greg Y

Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:41 pm

RNF, I'm pretty sure Collings doesn't do refrets. Collings uses proprietary fretwire & I'm not sure EVO will match the feel. Where are you located? One of us may have a suggested repair person. I've got EVO frets on a mandolin & they sound fine.

Haasome

Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:29 pm

I have Evo on both of my Goodall guitars and they feel fine, wear fantastic. I’ve not done a side-by-side with Collings, so I’d get Collings opinion first. Collings did a re-fret on a friends guitar — but that was quite a while ago. Its possible they may have a different game plan these days, but worth checking out.
Paul

pjkesq

Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:29 pm

RNF wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:01 pm Whoa, I guess the drugs kicked in on the last sentence of my op.
Oops. Anyway,
Love the forum. Thanks.

I really appreciate the great responses!
Would not have known about EVO without your advise. I’m No longer in good touch with any serious guitarists.
Anyone re-fret a CJ or any other Collings Acoustic with EVO? Does it change the tone significantly?

I am inclined to ship the CJ to Collings, but I don’t want to be too obsessive (or do I?)

Also thanks to your comments, I’m hitting pause or re-fretting. I might be overreacting a little. I’m not getting a buzz yet. I’d include a photo, but I’ve never done it and it seems like it would take too long to figure it out right now.

I’m not a big money guy. However, I’m in love with this German SS CJ.

I no longer am interested in playing anything else. I’ll probably get over it someday, but I’m in no hurry.

Thanks again!
I have found the Collings folks so helpful with everything. The best advice is to speak to them about it all. I am confident they will point you in the right direction. Good luck!

Kris W

Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:21 am

Reach out to Pat Diburro he’s located in Exeter NH, maybe 60-70 minutes away. He’s world class.
http://www.diburro.com/

https://www.fretboardjournal.com/featur ... ats-inside