OM1-A Varnish "High Upkeep"

tdavis3337

OM1-A Varnish "High Upkeep"

Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:16 pm

I'm a newbie to this forum, and this is post #1. First of all...thanks for having me. I'm looking to buy my first Collings after several years as a "Martin Guy" only because I couldn't afford a Collings. But, that has changed a bit...so I'd like some advice.

I've found an OM1-A Varnish at a semi-local dealer. It sounds magnificent...but the salesman told me that the varnish finish was very hard to care for, and would show every a mark in it to reflect all that got close to it (shirt buttons, even seams..). He told me a nitrocellulose finish on most guitars is much easier to maintain.

As good as the Collings sounded with even my rudimentary playing skills...I don't want a guitar that costs that much to look bad in a few months simply by playing it!

What are your thoughts about the varnish finish? Is it high maintenance?

Scotsmac

Re: OM1-A Varnish "High Upkeep"

Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:56 pm

Hi
I had this guitar for 3 years and had no problems in terms of the finish. I guess it would depend where you play, mine was played in the house all the time and I guess because I knew there may be issues I kept a more watchful eye on how I treated it. Buy and play with confidence, superb guitar.

Eric Jones

Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:26 pm

I’ve had a varnished dread for ~12 years. It doesn’t get extensive play time because I have other guitars too, but I wouldn’t say it requires much special care. Sure, the varnish is a softer finish than lacquer, so it would probably dent easier. But treat it like any guitar deserves to be treated and it will be fine. You’ve already experienced how good it sounds!

Eric Jones

Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:37 pm

tdavis3337 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:16 pm “...the varnish finish was very hard to care for”
I would not agree with this statement. There’s not much “care” except for wiping it off occasionally as with any other finish.
tdavis3337 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:16 pm “...show every a mark in it to reflect all that got close to it (shirt buttons, even seams..)
Sure, it will register errant pick marks and I suppose too if you pressed a button into it or dragged a button across it. Mine has discolored a little on the top lower bout under my right arm, but that’s all I’ve noticed.

Where’s Norman Draper? He’s used his extensively.

buckaroo

Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:30 pm

I have a varnish D42. It is a slight bit more delicate than the thin nitro found on a Traditional. It is softer the first few years. But then it starts to harden. IMO, varnish is the best looking finish they offer. It’s naturally aged look is peerless! It is thin too, maybe enhancing the sonics.

Buck

elambo

Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:53 am

I've not owned a Collings w/ varnish but I'd read every post about them on the previous forum and though there was no consensus I can reiterate that the opinions ranged from (paraphrasing) "they're no more difficult to take care of than nitro finishes" to "they are fragile and require additional care and consideration" with the average response being somewhere in the middle. I've had interest in a varnish model, so I've done considerable homework, and in the end decided not to spring for one. I suspect that the thinner coating does improve its tone (and feedback about varnish typically supported this,) but I didn't want to gamble.

Maybe a few other owners can pipe in with their experiences and opinions.

buckaroo

Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:50 am

IMG_3789.JPG
IMG_3789.JPG (93.03 KiB) Viewed 6537 times
This is the letter that Collings sent with my D42. While I could tell the finish was slightly more delicate than their standard (pre Traditional model) finish, it really was not any additional challenge to care for IMO. And today, 5 years later, it seems to require no extra attention from me. The real beauty is that it somewhat hardens as it ages and has a very lovely patina that is quite thin. I can rub my finger across the Adi top and feel the bumps in the grain. I would prefer this over a super thin nitro or satin any day. It looks old, yet not worn at all. The varnish finish is a "very expensive" option to be sure; but, the varnish finish worth every penny!

Buck
Last edited by buckaroo on Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slgis

Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:15 am

I own a 2011 Collings 000-1A Sunburst Varnish, and I haven't had any trouble with the finish. I will say that it does not have the typical Collings mahogany/Adirondack tone. Instead it has more depth to the sound, yet it still retains the projection and volume that you would expect. If you like the guitar, don't let the varnish finish deter you. I would see it as a good alternative.

buckaroo

Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:46 am

Slgis wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:15 am If you like the guitar, don't let the varnish finish deter you. I would see it as a good alternative.
I quite agree and ante up... The varnish is a superb alternative!

markT

Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:55 pm

I agree with all of the above. Yes, the varnish is thinner, and softer for the first couple our years, but it does harden with age, looks great AND is a great value on the used market. It's a $2000 upgrade new and does not translate to that on the used market. I had a CJ-35A Varnish for several years and can attest to all these statements~

If you dig it, buy it.