Knocked out - my new Collings SJ Indian

smalljumbo

Knocked out - my new Collings SJ Indian

Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:12 pm

Greetings from Oregon ...

My Collings SJ Indian arrived a few days ago. One of those dreams come true. My 1971 Martin D-18 always lacked something. I bought it new when I was 21, and now at 69 I decided I had needed to move on from fixed truss-bars, high action, and mahogany. And so, down the path of discovery I went, looking at guitars I have always desired but could never afford. Always had a thing for big bodied Guild's and D-35's. Looked at a few and came away less than enthused. Sounded good, but difficult to play with these old fingers. When I found the SJ Indian, it was if someone took down my specifications and crafted a guitar .. just for me. So easy to play and sounds divine. I mean, really divine. Can you tell I am in love?

Reaching out to other SJ owners. Indian, maple .. no matter. How do you feel about your guitar? The beauty, the size, the playability, the resonance, the pure spectrum of tone.

I mainly play folkie stuff. Bruce Cockburn, Patty Larkin, Shawn Colvin, Jonatha Brooke, Jackson Browne. I suppose there is a common thread there.

It's fun to be a guitar player once again.

Daniel
Cannon Beach, Oregon, USA

elambo

Re: Knocked out - my new Collings SJ Indian

Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:42 pm

Congrats, Daniel!

JohnB

Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:25 pm

Congratulations, Daniel. I love the SJs. I have a maple one I ordered coming at the end of the month--and it's been a long, long wait. My first projected build date has been pushed back at least twice, and now I should see it in a couple of weeks. Your post is a reminder that it's worth the wait.

smalljumbo

Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:47 pm

Thank you all ... and I am happy to be a part of the Collings community here.
I am anxious to read your evaluations ... after such a long wait I would be a wreck waiting for the truck to finally arrive and the door bell ring!

Not that I wouldn't have them on auto-tracking and meet them at the curb!

Daniel

Fidalgo

Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:09 am

My brother-in-law has a koa/German SJ that is an amazing guitar. I hope you enjoy yours as much as he enjoys his SJ.
Last edited by Fidalgo on Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

armdog

Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:45 pm

welcome to the forum Daniel. If I didn't already have a CJ, the SJ would be my choice. best wishes and congratulations

Mwyates

Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:27 pm

I love SJ's! I've had maple, mahogany, and Indian. Much to my surprise, maple is my favorite.

That being said, my maple SJ is currently for sale. The 16" body, even with a narrow waist, is too much for my bad shoulder and elbow. An OM is my maximum these days.
Fortunately, Collings knows how to build those, too :)

Hokiebob

Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:18 pm

Congratulations!!! There is not much better than connecting with a guitar that touches where this one apparently touches you. I hope you enjoy playing it for many years.
Bob

DenverSteve

Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:34 am

Congratulations. While I doubt the D-18 lacked anything, the SJ is a completely different animal. I have admired the tone from an SJ Indian but haven't seen any available in the wild for purchase. Maybe someday.........
Shalom, Steve
A Few World-Class Tools..........

Haasome

Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:24 pm

Congratulations! The SJ is a beautiful guitar with a great sound and I like the deep waist. It feels very nice while being played. It plays bigger than it feels. I’ve owned 4 different models from Collings, but never an SJ — yet. Enjoy.
Paul