What CAPO?!?

Zach

What CAPO?!?

Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:40 pm

Well after hanging around forums, shops, friends, facebook...I know this is an inevitable question to come up.

"What capo should I get?"

I started out with a Dunlop elastic capo ($5). Its what my grandpa had on his old guitar. It got the job done.
Then I moved on to a Kyser ($20). Its what all my friends were using. It also got the job done.
Then I grabbed a Shubb ($20). I liked its low profile. It got the job done.
I eventually purchased a Paige ($20). I started to play bluegrass and wanted to leave the capo on the guitar. It got the job done.

I think I owned at least two Dunlops because the elastics kept crapping out. In my time of being a Kyser man I purchased at least 5 because I would lone them out or misplace place them and never to be seen again. I currently own two shubbs, but use them for a few different reasons. I've owned at least 4. They seem to grow legs as well. I've only owned 1 paige since it has a home and doesn't leave. That's at least $210 dollars on random capos alone.

I say all of this because when I purchased my Collings Winfield, custom from the factory, I immediately ordered an Elliott Elite capo ($160). Its so small I don't notice it. Typically if I let people play my guitar they have no idea its sitting peacefully at the nut. It looks like its made for the guitar (because it was), it doesn't live clamped to the headstock (covering the beautiful inlay), it doesn't get loaned out, it doesn't grow legs and leave, and it doesn't get left on my dresser when i rush out the door. If I started with the Elliott it would have actually saved me at least $50....or maybe that's just what i'll tell myself. I also think if i'm spending so much money on a wonderful guitar why would I clamp a $2 made in china piece to it?

That's not to say you should purchase an Elliot. G7th, Shubb Fine Tune, and Thalia are just a few other great options all at different price points.

To each there own...
An Elliot works great.
A Paige works great.
A Shubb works great.
A Kyser...will probably be too tight and pull the strings out of tune but works well enough.
A Dunlop elastic works...but I will personally snatch it off your COLLINGS if I see it in public
A Pencil and Rubber band also work.

If you are coming to the forum for the people here to give convincing reasons why the Elliot is worth $160 and you need talking points for your significant other on why this is a good idea....WE CAN"T TELL YOU HOW TO SPEND YOUR MONEY. You can get buy just fine spending $20. But if you have the disposable income and want the best of the best to go on your great guitar (I would say best of the best guitar but that would be lying since my guitar already holds that title) then splurge and get an Elliot.

pjkesq

Re: What CAPO?!?

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:27 pm

I have owned every capo you mentioned. I think that the Elliot blows them all away. It hardly pulls the guitar out of tune and that is worth everything to me. The craftsmanship is outstanding and aesthetically, it is the most pleasing to me. I own 1 for my Martin, 1 for my collings and 1 for my waterloo. :-)

michaelnel

Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:25 pm

I too have had several capos. After getting an Elliott Elite, I see no reason to even look at other types. For me, it's perfect.

elambo

Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:10 am

Elliots keep the guitar noticeably more in-tune versus other capos? I suppose I have what you'd call a "decent" capo -- not an Elliot -- and although it doesn't throw the guitar out-of-whack I suppose it could be better. That's a lot of money though. Maybe I'll try to borrow one and take a test drive.

michaelnel

Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:10 am

I like that I can adjust the Elliott Elite to the exact amount of pressure needed to not have any buzzes on any strings. I start with it loose and just tighten it enough to remove all buzzing. That puts the minimum pressure on the strings and has the least effect on pulling the notes sharp.

It's also tiny and stays out of my way, and stows nicely behind the nut.

Plus it looks like a piece of SS jewelry. ;-)

michaelnel

Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:19 am

By the way, I don't think my Elliott Elite capo is worth $160. But that's what they cost, and that's what enough people are willing to pay for them to keep Phil Elliott's little operation in business.

I don't think a Collings CJ35 is worth between $5-6 thousand dollars either, but as soon as I come into some money next week, I'm gonna buy a new replacement for the damaged one I sent back for a refund.

Because that's what they cost.

pjkesq

Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:57 pm

elambo wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:10 am Elliots keep the guitar noticeably more in-tune versus other capos? I suppose I have what you'd call a "decent" capo -- not an Elliot -- and although it doesn't throw the guitar out-of-whack I suppose it could be better. That's a lot of money though. Maybe I'll try to borrow one and take a test drive.
Elambo,

I agree with everything that was said above. I think it throws the guitar out of tune less than any other capo I have used. Never a problem with buzzing and the craftsmanship is unmatched. It is expensive, but most people who can afford guitars in the 4K-7K range can usually afford an Elliot. I just bought my 4th one for the new Collings which should be here next month.

I want to thank you personally for getting the Forum up and running!

pjk

pjkesq

Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:58 pm

michaelnel wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:19 am By the way, I don't think my Elliott Elite capo is worth $160. But that's what they cost, and that's what enough people are willing to pay for them to keep Phil Elliott's little operation in business.

I don't think a Collings CJ35 is worth between $5-6 thousand dollars either, but as soon as I come into some money next week, I'm gonna buy a new replacement for the damaged one I sent back for a refund.

Because that's what they cost.
LOL! I love the guitars and the capos and am willing to pay the price, so I guess that makes the price right? Economics 101! That was a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

elkabong

Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:44 pm

I don't own an Elliot yet. Maybe I will someday?

However, I just can't see how they would be any 'better than' a Paige? (Mechanically speaking...) As they look almost identical in they way they're built & how they work.

Granted; the Elliot is a lot 'sexier' looking being all stainless steel as opposed to black powder coated steel on the Paige. But as I say; 'mechanically' speaking; they look pretty much 'the same' to me.

Is it the rubber? or plastic" Or vinyl covering on the bar that makes the big difference? Is it the 'bend/shape' of the bar itself?

Paige- $16.00 ...Elliot- $160.00

My Paiges work just great for me. & if they do 'grow legs' as the OP mentioned; it's much easier to swallow another $16. spent as opposed to $160.

Just sayin'?......

Buck

Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:52 am

IME both Elliott and Stokes (similar design and build quality) far exceed the performance of the Paige due to the stiffness of the structure. Paige's are "springy" by comparison and require much more tightening to prevent buzzing. That tends to cause uneven pressure and tuning problems. It's not that the Paige doesn't work, but an Elliott works much better for me.