What CAPO?!?

Buck

Re: What CAPO?!?

Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:41 am

Same experience here. The Heritage certainly isn't bad, but I don't believe it's even as good as an Elliott and I can't find any way in which it performs better. It's heavier, bulkier, and if anything it slightly dulls the tone as noted above.

I do like capos and I like to try different ones. At last count I had 29. OK, so maybe I have a problem, but moving along....nothing I've tried is better than an Elliott. The only two that are on par with Elliott in my book are the Stokes Showcase and Kat-Eyz.

Haasome

Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:24 am

I don’t have a personal stake in this, and I’m not trying to be a pill. But will share some details related to my experience. As I said, my 2 favorites are G7 Heritage and Elliot. The reason I prefer the Heritage a bit is because of the self-adjusting pressure bar. I have guitars that have radii ranging from 12 - 20 (Collings compound 14-26) and the Heritage accommodates them all equally well. The Elliot capos do best when they stay with a specific guitar with a matching radius. I haven’t noticed damping of sound with the Heritage, but I will listen more carefully to see if I pick that up. BTW, for fun, I weighed 4 capos I had handy. Heritage 33 grams, Elliot push button 33 grams and Elliot latch 29 grams and Shubb Deluxe 47 grams.

Paul

elkabong

Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:24 am

This is great! keep 'em coming in guys.

Interesting that the Heritage & Elliott weigh the same Paul. I wonder if it's just the 'heavier/ bulkier' look of the Heritage that gives the impression that it actually weighs more? The old 'a ton of feathers & a ton of steel' analogy?...Both still 'a ton'...

In the meantime I've purchased an Elliott form a forum member 'sight unseen' in the hopes that it'll work for me. Also visiting a buddy locally on Tuesday that has 2 Elliott Elites & a G7th Heritage to try out. FWIW: He also prefers the G7th Heritage 'slightly' over his 2 Elliotts.

Buck

Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:51 pm

I keep an Elliott or Showcase in my pocket at festivals and picking parties. I've used them on about any vintage or modern guitar you can name and I don't recall ever having a problem with getting clean notes or keeping the guitar in tune. Other than guitars with fret problems (severe wear) the only guitars that might have been incompatible are some of the very wide necked original Roy Smeck Gibsons. Neither of those examples are really failure of capo design though.

The lightest capos I own and use are my Elliott Elite and Tony Rice. They weigh 25 grams each.

In case weight is a concern, here are a few more just for the sake of discussion.

G7th Performance - 77 grams
G7th Performance 2 - 52 grams
Stokes Showcase Standard - 28 grams
McKinney-Elliott - 29 grams
Original Victor - 49 grams
Kat-Eyz (stainless) - 28 grams
Golden Gate - 68 grams
Original Shubb Brass (brass or standard) - 54 grams
Dan Crary - 59 grams

pjkesq

Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:04 am

elkabong wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:24 am This is great! keep 'em coming in guys.

Interesting that the Heritage & Elliott weigh the same Paul. I wonder if it's just the 'heavier/ bulkier' look of the Heritage that gives the impression that it actually weighs more? The old 'a ton of feathers & a ton of steel' analogy?...Both still 'a ton'...

In the meantime I've purchased an Elliott form a forum member 'sight unseen' in the hopes that it'll work for me. Also visiting a buddy locally on Tuesday that has 2 Elliott Elites & a G7th Heritage to try out. FWIW: He also prefers the G7th Heritage 'slightly' over his 2 Elliotts.
Really interested to know what you think of the Elliot?

elkabong

Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:31 pm

Hi
I’ll be happy to post my review once I receive it.
Thanks

Silly Moustache

Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:24 pm

Hi gang,

Just catching up ...

capos , I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention
they did what they had to do
And squeezed my strings ... without exception.

The other day I attempted to tidy my little office.

Apparently I still own a "Terry Gould" elastic capo; a Hamilton capo (how did I ever get that on a guitar neck?); a Paige capo; a Kyser capo and a Shubb Dobro capo, and (these are the ones I already knew about) : 1 x Scheerhorn Dobro capo, 2 x Shubb 12 string capos, and ... nine Shubb - basic C1 or C1b capos, (one for each of my flat tops) and after Xmas day a banjo one.

I will invest in stuff that improves my playing experience, but these basic Shubbs meet my requirements completely. Am I missing something?

Silly Moustache

Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:40 am

Buck wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:51 pm I keep an Elliott or Showcase in my pocket at festivals and picking parties. I've used them on about any vintage or modern guitar you can name and I don't recall ever having a problem with getting clean notes or keeping the guitar in tune. Other than guitars with fret problems (severe wear) the only guitars that might have been incompatible are some of the very wide necked original Roy Smeck Gibsons. Neither of those examples are really failure of capo design though.

The lightest capos I own and use are my Elliott Elite and Tony Rice. They weigh 25 grams each.

In case weight is a concern, here are a few more just for the sake of discussion.

G7th Performance - 77 grams
G7th Performance 2 - 52 grams
Stokes Showcase Standard - 28 grams
McKinney-Elliott - 29 grams
Original Victor - 49 grams
Kat-Eyz (stainless) - 28 grams
Golden Gate - 68 grams
Original Shubb Brass (brass or standard) - 54 grams
Dan Crary - 59 grams
Hi Buck, I'm not trying to be funny, and as already said, I only use basic Shubbs now, but I'm wondering what the significance is of the weight of the different capos. I'd be grateful for your wisdom on this.

Buck

Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:26 pm

I'm an engineer, so I like to quantify things. Dimensions and weights are easy targets. Some people believe a lighter capo affects tone less, so they prefer it. The weight can affect balance slightly as well. I'm not sure weight affects tone all that much, but I do like the feel of a lightweight capo.

Alternatively, I am fairly certain that stiffness does affect tone, so I prefer capos that are rigid. The harder tubing and stiff frame of the Elliott capos are excellent in that regard.

One place where the Elliott (or similar quality) excels for me is on high E and B string bends. The Shubb (old standard or deluxe) works fine for me most of the time, but on hard bends the string slips and does not return to position or pitch when released. That never happens with an Elliott.

6l6

Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:58 am

I see no need to ditch my Schubbs. For my '71 Guild F-312, I favor a Victor. 12 string capo.

YMMV