Finally got my hands on a Satin finish D1!!

jwills57

Re: Finally got my hands on a Satin finish D1!!

Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:13 pm

Hey, markT--I just ordered this exact same guitar from The Music Emporium. Should be here tomorrow or Saturday, I hope. I couldn't play it first, of course, but I'm trusting Joe at the shop, who really loved it and he seems to know a lot about guitars. It sure is a beautiful instrument.

Haasome

Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:54 pm

jwills57 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:13 pm Hey, markT--I just ordered this exact same guitar from The Music Emporium. Should be here tomorrow or Saturday, I hope. I couldn't play it first, of course, but I'm trusting Joe at the shop, who really loved it and he seems to know a lot about guitars. It sure is a beautiful instrument.
TME has been my shop for a long time. Joe is the owner and not only knows his stuff, he’s a very good player and a totally squared away person. Good luck and I look forward to your NGD pictures & review.
Paul

Haasome

Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:55 pm

markT wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:55 pm I just took delivery of this sweet D1 SB T Satin earlier this week. It was love at first strum!
I wanted one as soon as I saw the Julian Lage/Chris Etheridge video with Chris playing a satin D1.

https://www.themusicemporium.com/guitar ... tin-finish

Great pickup Mark. That’s a beauty!
Paul

markT

Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:41 pm

jwills57 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:13 pm Hey, markT--I just ordered this exact same guitar from The Music Emporium. Should be here tomorrow or Saturday, I hope. I couldn't play it first, of course, but I'm trusting Joe at the shop, who really loved it and he seems to know a lot about guitars. It sure is a beautiful instrument.
Congrats! Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

I like this guitar more and more. I actually sent in my D2HA T Madagascar for consignment and bought a OM2 T Satin. This satin finish takes the T to another level of roundness and open tone.

Yes, Ive bought, sold and traded many instruments with TME now. Never played any of them either until they arrived at my home. Great people to deal with. If you don't dig it, not a problem. Just send it back with no issues or ill will.
I normally deal with Andy, but have talked to Joe, Adam and Eliot for the electric stuff.

Haasome wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:55 pm Great pickup Mark. That’s a beauty!
Thanks Paul!

jwills57

Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:57 pm

Hey, markT--Well, I've been playing D1 SBTS for several days now. As I'm getting older and my hands aren't quite as strong and limber as they once were, I changed the strings to light gauge, honestly haven't been able to discern a difference in tone or volume; however, the guitar is a touch easier to play. I love it. I told Joe at The Music Emporium that when I pick it up, I feel like I'm almost in a time machine and have gone back fifty years, which at my age is a good thing! I think, among many attributes, that it's a truly honest guitar--it's not trying to be something it's not. It's old school, vintage all the way, a very direct, dry, woody, penetrating sound, not a lot of overtones or chimes in the notes. Exactly what I was looking for. This guitar is not trying to be a piano or a harp, if you know what I mean. I think the folks at Collings Guitars are really on to something with the traditional series. It obviously, from what I've seen and read, took a massive investment in time and resources to get there, but get there they did. It's an awesome guitar, for anybody looking for that vibe.

Fidalgo

Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:34 am

You guys are experiencing next gen with the satin finish and new neck block design, but I am coming up on a year with my torrefied D1T. I also bought it from TME... Great instruments. Great Service. Great shop! And they already sold markT's D2HA T Mad.

markT

Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:21 pm

jwills57 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:57 pm Hey, markT--Well, I've been playing D1 SBTS for several days now. As I'm getting older and my hands aren't quite as strong and limber as they once were, I changed the strings to light gauge, honestly haven't been able to discern a difference in tone or volume; however, the guitar is a touch easier to play. I love it. I told Joe at The Music Emporium that when I pick it up, I feel like I'm almost in a time machine and have gone back fifty years, which at my age is a good thing! I think, among many attributes, that it's a truly honest guitar--it's not trying to be something it's not. It's old school, vintage all the way, a very direct, dry, woody, penetrating sound, not a lot of overtones or chimes in the notes. Exactly what I was looking for. This guitar is not trying to be a piano or a harp, if you know what I mean. I think the folks at Collings Guitars are really on to something with the traditional series. It obviously, from what I've seen and read, took a massive investment in time and resources to get there, but get there they did. It's an awesome guitar, for anybody looking for that vibe.
Great review and description Jack! I agree.
Also interesting observation on string size. I can see that.
Fidalgo wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:34 am You guys are experiencing next gen with the satin finish and new neck block design, but I am coming up on a year with my torrefied D1T. I also bought it from TME... Great instruments. Great Service. Great shop! And they already sold markT's D2HA T Mad.
Yes.....you can say I am goo goo about these “next gen” instruments! I also bought a OM2H T Satin as well!
Glad to see my old D2HA T Mad is headed to a new home. It’s a monster instrument and the new owner will be thrilled. I’m just really digging these newer revisions.

More later~

Peanut73

Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:38 pm

markT wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:41 pm

I like this guitar more and more. I actually sent in my D2HA T Madagascar for consignment and bought a OM2 T Satin. This satin finish takes the T to another level of roundness and open tone.

Yes, Ive bought, sold and traded many instruments with TME now. Never played any of them either until they arrived at my home. Great people to deal with. If you don't dig it, not a problem. Just send it back with no issues or ill will.
I normally deal with Andy, but have talked to Joe, Adam and Eliot for the electric stuff.

Thanks Paul!
I nearly bought your D2HAT Madrose, but I really want one of the Satin guitars. TME has some really nice ones at the moment.

markT

Fri May 01, 2020 3:05 am

Peanut73 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:38 pm
markT wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:41 pm

Thanks Paul!
I nearly bought your D2HAT Madrose, but I really want one of the Satin guitars. TME has some really nice ones at the moment.
It was a good one! Different animal, but love the Satin D1 T S....

MSEV

Sun May 03, 2020 1:27 pm

Fidalgo wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:10 pm You also have D2HA T Madagascar?! Yer killin' me, Mark. If I ever retire, and between the market and COVID 19 the odds are diminishing, a D2HA T will be my final guitar purchase.
Oh, Fidalgo. Your thoughts, "will be my final guitar purchase," that is quite a phrase. I thought that, perhaps, I was done. But then Collings came out with the 001 14 fret. And satin finishes? What next to tantalize me/us. Keep playin', y'all!.
Bob K
Omaha