OM2H deep body - any fans?

lneal14513

OM2H deep body - any fans?

Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:56 pm

Hello all, giving serious consideration to purchasing one with a baked Sitka top. I’ve played other deep body om’s and really liked them, and I like the Collings sound in general but I won’t have the opportunity to play this one before I buy. I was hoping to get some input from players who have before I pull the trigger.

Regards and thanks in advance

Hokiebob

Re: OM2H deep body - any fans?

Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:56 am

Most would say that you can't go wrong but guitars are such an individual thing.

I would hope that sellers of such expensive items would offer a home trial so that if it doesn't ring your chime you can return it and only be out the freight.
Bob

Randy Carone

Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:13 pm

As a purest, I think the deep body OM defeats some of the characteristics of the OM. I have an OM3HG and a D3. The OM has an 'immediacy' and is perfect for finger-style and hybrid (pick and fingers), the latter being my style. My OM still has PLENTY of bass, especially after a couple of years of playing the German top. A dread is a dread and an OM is an OM. Just my opinion.

6l6

Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:10 pm

I can't speak to the Collings you mentioned. However...

I own a 2019 Martin Custom Shop OOO-18GE with the deep body option. I had to wait nine months for the build, but it sure was worth it!

Before I ordered this guitar, I had the opportunity to play one identical to it while in London. I liked it so much I took pics and got all the details. That then went to Jon at MFG and on to Martin for the build of a clone.

The custom features I ordered were:

* Deep Body

* 1 11/16" nut

* Gloss neck

* 1935 Sunburst

* MOD V neck

The guitar offers me a sound VERY close to that of a dread. That's the sound I like best. When plugged in (K&K), it sounds better than any plugged-in guitar I've ever played.

SO... I'm a BIG fan of the deep body option and I'm betting most others out there would be too if they could play my guitar.

Bill

Greg Y

Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:28 am

Bill, "The guitar offers me a sound VERY close to that of a dread. That's the sound I like best."
Randy, " The OM has an 'immediacy' and is perfect for finger-style and hybrid (pick and fingers), the latter being my style. My OM still has PLENTY of bass, especially after a couple of years of playing the German top. A dread is a dread and an OM is an OM. Just my opinion."

Bill, Some people play OMs because of how they sound......different from a dreadnaught. Besides dreadnaughts I've had a Collings OM1aJL, a Pre*War 000-18 and a 1938 000-18 in the house at the same time. All 3 had lots of power, and that quickness of the notes, that's not the characteristic of dreadnaughts. I've played them at Bluegrass jams and with multiple fiddles where they also hold up well.

Here's another fine example of the two played together & I've heard Julian & Chris live and their instruments display the uniqueness of their design characteristics.
Just to say that not everyone wants an OM to sound like a dreadnaught

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7dpseBvzc4.

6l6

Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:51 pm

I agree with your statements, Greg.

No doubt about it, I am a dread guy first! But one of the main things I failed to mention about the Deep Body option on my Martin OOO-18GE Custom is that the extra 1/2" of depth removes the "boxiness" I seem to always hear with body sizes smaller than a dread.

The lack of boxiness on the one I played in London caught my ears immediately and my Custom came to me sounding the same way. No tubbiness or boxiness. Or, as I like to say, "No mid-range honk".

Bill

Greg Y

Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:08 pm

Bill, I'm with you on the 'boxiness', 'mid-range honk' None of the 3x OM/ 000 i've mentioned showed any of that. I've heard it most on guitars like the Gibson LG models...even the '40s vintage. It's not common on '30s Martins of any size, although i do hear it on the heavier built straight-brace 50's small bodies. As a sidenote, the Collings OM1(a)-JL is a real tonal gem. The effort that Bill & Julian put into that model really stands out

elambo

Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:16 pm

I had one and loved it. An OM2HG, to be specific. It had the comfortable feel of the smaller OM body and much of the larger sound of a dread.

6l6

Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:27 pm

Never met a Collings guitar I didn't LOVE!

Bill

Greg Y

Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:59 pm

Re the deep body option. Here's a video clip of one just posted. See if it sounds like what you're after: "Here is a piece called Rosie that I recorded for Lincoln Center’s Humanity in Concert.
I played it on an OM2H deep body"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp4VIBQ ... 9JTa6pGyL4