Thinking of taking the proverbial plunge...

Tremolo Arm

Re: Thinking of taking the proverbial plunge...

Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:34 pm

Hokiebob wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:44 pm Not really prepared to discuss the market for high end guitars in GB but maybe something my grandfather taught me many years ago applies.
He was a successful business man and he told me that he knew he was successful when he could make it a policy in his personal life that if he wanted something he just went ahead and bought it.

When I was shopping for a guitar a number of years ago I was considering a number of guitars that cost less than a Collings. Then I went to a dealer and played a D2H. It was more expensive than
other guitars that I was considering and more expensive than the budget that I had set in my mind but the sound just got stuck in my head. My wife and I spent well over an hour in the shop without committing so we finally excused ourselves and went to a nearby cafe for lunch. While eating I don't think we even mentioned the guitar but it was certainly stuck in my head. I was caught in what is called paralysis by analysis as I considered all the + and -. Finally as we were waiting for the check my dear wife looked at me and said "You want it, don't you?" I told her "Yes". She said "Then lets go buy it." So we went back and I asked for a token discount just to feel good about my business acumen and the dealer accepted my offer.

10 years later I still have and love that guitar. Any consideration of resale value is moot as it will never be my concern.

As the great philosopher Yogi Berra said "When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

Oliver Wendell Holmes had this to say "“Many people die with their music still in them. Too often it is because they are always getting ready to live. Before they know it time runs out.”

It sounds from your original post that you really want to buy this guitar and are seeking justification. My advice. Don't let time run out. Go get it.

Bob
Thanks for your wisdom, Bob

A lot of what you say resonates very much with my thinking and as I said in my reply to Jack, I actually made a very good offer to the shop - way over my budget. But it wasn't accepted.

I am predominately an electric guitar player (I have 7 electrics, including 2 CS Strats a CS Les Paul and a signature Gretsch 6120). These days I have less time to play acoustic. If I didn't have the Gibson SJ-200, I would have pulled the trigger on the Collings as I would have been able to justify to myself (and other powers) that I need at least one good quality acoustic.

I think I will just survey the net for a good deal to come about. What I hear about Collings is that they are very consistent, which plays to my advantage in that it will be a relatively lower risk to buy second hand.
It sounds like you love your D2H. Enjoy it!

Kevin

Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:54 pm

Hi Tremolo,

Yet another UK guy here, we are taking over the forum - it's good to see a bit of action on here, it's been really quiet for months.

I won't go over the finer details of what you're asking (string spacing etc) as the others seem to have covered that well. As with Jackorion, I spend (too much) time browsing various guitar shop websites, with a keen eye on Collings, and will say that if your heart is set on the SB D2h then go for it soon.

As Malc said, there aren't many new Collings available at the moment in the UK - not that there are ever a huge amount, mainly as they just aren't made in the same volume as the usual suspects. As you are keen on sunburst, note that this isn't standard for Collings so you may be waiting a long while for another one to appear. It's also worth noting that the one at Coda has a 1 3/4" nut which also differs from the Collings' standard 1 11/16". As for the price, as has been mentioned here, this particular guitar came in with 2 others fairly recently so they will be at the latest pricing. The others were another SB dread and a SB 000-3, the latter was gorgeous with its slotted-headstock. Both of these didn't hang around that long, even with the new prices (the 000-3 was well over £6000).

GuitarGuitar also stock Collings, although I don't know if they have anything that would suit what you are after; the only SB that they have in is a used CJ-35 which is Collings' take on a Gibson J35 (not a J45 as many assume - different bracing...). Worth noting that their stock has been moving, too: an OM-1 JL, D1-T and an OM-1Mh have all gone recently and the first of those was about £9000 so, with Coda, that's a lot of money spent on Collings' guitars in the UK very recently - or a lot of store credit and credit cards getting used.

The long and short of it is that if you really fancy the D-2h then make a decision as there won't be loads more flooding in soon. As for pricing, my view is that they aren't going to be going down in price, only up, so if you can afford it then do it. I was lucky to get a used OM-2h in almost-new condition for a price that I thought was a lot at the time. I had to do a lot of soul-searching before I committed but the build-quality, level of finish and pleasure of ownership make it worth it so I would unhesitatingly recommend taking the plunge, I'm sure that you won't regret it.

Edited to add: I realise that the above is about new guitars and that you are considering used. You should be fine with this as the guitars are built and finished so well and Collings owners tend to look after them (this last is purely from my limited observations). The only downside, as mentioned above with new guitars, is that you may bs waiting a long time for one with the right spec to appear on the market.

Good luck and keep us posted as to how you get on.

Kevin.

jackorion

Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:21 am

that CJ35 at Guitar Guitar has had me hovering over the finance button a few times!

Kevin

Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:05 am

Did you go for it, Jack? Noticed it went the day after your post.

I looked at GuitarGuitar's site yesterday and a D-1 and a 002-h (I think it was) have now gone. I mentioned it in my earlier post, but there seems to have been a big buying spree on Collings in the UK. I had half-an-eye on that D-1, I need to be a bit more decisive...

Tremolo Arm

Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:35 am

Kevin wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:54 pm Hi Tremolo,

Yet another UK guy here, we are taking over the forum - it's good to see a bit of action on here, it's been really quiet for months.

I won't go over the finer details of what you're asking (string spacing etc) as the others seem to have covered that well. As with Jackorion, I spend (too much) time browsing various guitar shop websites, with a keen eye on Collings, and will say that if your heart is set on the SB D2h then go for it soon.

As Malc said, there aren't many new Collings available at the moment in the UK - not that there are ever a huge amount, mainly as they just aren't made in the same volume as the usual suspects. As you are keen on sunburst, note that this isn't standard for Collings so you may be waiting a long while for another one to appear. It's also worth noting that the one at Coda has a 1 3/4" nut which also differs from the Collings' standard 1 11/16". As for the price, as has been mentioned here, this particular guitar came in with 2 others fairly recently so they will be at the latest pricing. The others were another SB dread and a SB 000-3, the latter was gorgeous with its slotted-headstock. Both of these didn't hang around that long, even with the new prices (the 000-3 was well over £6000).

GuitarGuitar also stock Collings, although I don't know if they have anything that would suit what you are after; the only SB that they have in is a used CJ-35 which is Collings' take on a Gibson J35 (not a J45 as many assume - different bracing...). Worth noting that their stock has been moving, too: an OM-1 JL, D1-T and an OM-1Mh have all gone recently and the first of those was about £9000 so, with Coda, that's a lot of money spent on Collings' guitars in the UK very recently - or a lot of store credit and credit cards getting used.

The long and short of it is that if you really fancy the D-2h then make a decision as there won't be loads more flooding in soon. As for pricing, my view is that they aren't going to be going down in price, only up, so if you can afford it then do it. I was lucky to get a used OM-2h in almost-new condition for a price that I thought was a lot at the time. I had to do a lot of soul-searching before I committed but the build-quality, level of finish and pleasure of ownership make it worth it so I would unhesitatingly recommend taking the plunge, I'm sure that you won't regret it.

Edited to add: I realise that the above is about new guitars and that you are considering used. You should be fine with this as the guitars are built and finished so well and Collings owners tend to look after them (this last is purely from my limited observations). The only downside, as mentioned above with new guitars, is that you may bs waiting a long time for one with the right spec to appear on the market.

Good luck and keep us posted as to how you get on.

Kevin.
Hi Kevin

Thanks a lot for your post.

I allowed myself a few days of thinking time and have now decided that I am not going to go for it. I guess the GAS has fizzled out or may be I have now forgotten how good that guitar sounded.
It may be a wonderful instrument but for that price (I mean the Coda one) I can buy a couple of seriously good used pieces - electric or acoustic or other gear. Prices may be going up at Collings, but I already have and like my Gibson SJ-200, which also has a pick up so allows much more flexibility. So I have my acoustic fix and can't justify buying a new acoustic at that price.
I will continue looking at used Collings pieces and if a sunburst D comes up, I may give in another thought.
All the best for now

MSEV

Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:12 pm

Well said, HokieBob, well said.
And if you are not there, then don't buy it and watch to see what comes up. Best of luck in your search...
Bob K
Omaha

jackorion

Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:23 am

Kevin wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:05 am Did you go for it, Jack? Noticed it went the day after your post.

I looked at GuitarGuitar's site yesterday and a D-1 and a 002-h (I think it was) have now gone. I mentioned it in my earlier post, but there seems to have been a big buying spree on Collings in the UK. I had half-an-eye on that D-1, I need to be a bit more decisive...
I wish! I'm still paying off my OM2hT and, being a self-employed musician, income is not exactly high given the current situation!

6l6

Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:53 pm

FWIW, I prefer the standard Collings sound to that from the newer Traditional series. My ears prefer the enhanced clarity and volume of the non-Traditional series guitars and I also prefer the gloss finish of a standard.

Before the pandemic, I was playing in London a couple times/yr and have always taken a Collings dread with me. I'm big on letting others try out my instruments and I must say that everyone who played one of my instruments absolutely loved it. Most there where I play have still never heard the name "Collings", so it's fun to give them the info.

In my current "never to be sold" Collings stash are a '99 D-1 and 2014 D2HA. In the past I've also owned a D2H (never should have sold that one) and a D-42AV (the most beautiful guitar I've ever owned), and a D-3 Cocobolo.

If I could only own one guitar, it would read "Collings" on the headstock. If you can swing the one you're after, you'll never regret the purchase!

Bill

6l6

Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:42 pm

In the future, and if you desire a smaller bodied guitar that doesn't have the "boxy" sound we're all familiar with, go for the Deep Body option.

Bye Bye boxiness.

I went the Deep Body option (adds 1/2" to the depth of the body) when I had a Martin Custom 000-18GE built for me. Zero boxiness! A friend has a guitar identical to it and that one doesn't have any boxiness either.

As for Collings, I've never met one I didn't love. There are some great deals out there right now in the used market and if you go that route you won't be disappointed.

In short, Bill Collings never built any "average" guitars. The few that happened to come out with what constituted "average" in his eyes and ears met a quick fate with the shop's bandsaw.

As he always said when asked what it was he sold, Bill said, "I sell labor." It shows in every guitar that has ever left or continues to leave his shop in Austin, Texas. Simply the best guitars money can buy.

Bill