Traditional model neck carve options

vive

Traditional model neck carve options

Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:28 pm

Hi Folks,

I’m new to this forum, my first post. I’ve participated in several other forums over the years including the 13thfret, UMGF, AGF, and TGP. Happy to find this forum!

I’ve been bitten bad by the Collings bug ever since I tried a Collings 14 fret 001AT a few months ago. It sounded fabulous but the neck was too chunky for me and I had to pass on it. I was told by the dealer who had that guitar that Collings only offers that one type of (chunky, to me) neck carve on all of their T instruments except for the OM1JL with 1 11/16th inch nut which has its own carve based on JL’s 1939 000-18. As I’m looking for a 00 14 fret short scale guitar due to hand and shoulder issues the JL model wouldn’t be an option.

Fast forward to the end of August. I corresponded with Collings Customer Service to ask about a smaller neck carve, “I’m wishing for a 14 fret 001A Traditional (hide glue construction, traditional voicing, etc) with a “regular” or similar Collings neck carve.“
The representative advised that I could ask for a customized 1 11/16 th inch nut width and they could “sand a little extra off the back of the neck“ from frets 5 to 14.

Then, 2 days ago, I was talking with a Collings dealer who told me that Collings is now offering another option for their traditional necks, a 1 11/16th inch nut and a carve that is the same as their modified V neck. This surprised me especially given my correspondence with the Collings Customer Service rep just 10 days before who didn’t mention that option.

Have any of you heard anything about this? Is this accurate information?

Thanks for your help,
Vivian

Hokiebob

Re: Traditional model neck carve options

Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:36 am

The simplest would be to call back to Austin and ask them to clarify.

Anything any of us knows might be out of date.
Bob

Greg Y

Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:41 am

Vivian, Lots of decisions are made before they are passed on to a 'customer service rep.' At this time Collings are also working 2 shifts so it's completely possible for folks not to see one another. It looks as if you're going to be able to get a neck that suits you better.. Some of us have been waiting years and years for Collings to make a 14 fret 00. I'm betting you won't be disappointed. As HBob suggested, give them a call. They do answer the phone & over the years i've found them to be the most responsive guitar building co.!

MSEV

Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:38 pm

I have an 001A 14 fret standard, non-traditional. I thoroughly enjoy it. Are you thinking you would like that neck shape on a Traditional?
Bob K
Omaha