Thoughts on the OM1T

waterbound

Thoughts on the OM1T

Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:03 pm

A few years back I decided I wanted an OM. The T's were selling like hotcakes at the time and , not being able to actually get my hands on one, I ordered one online. Loved it at first, but the more I played it, the less I found myself in love with it. Others play it and drool over it, so I guess its just me. Tried different string brands( but not gauge, Collings said the top was too thin for mediums) but no help. I love the OM size and it plays well. I gave it a chance hoping it would grow on me, but it's never really pushed my buttons. I'd probably sell it, but I do love the vintage case( new ones come with TKL) and I couldn't get back what I have in it, even though the prices have gone up. I'd like to know if anyone else have been less than thrilled with theirs. I've yet to find a negative review on the internet. Thanks

Greg Y

Re: Thoughts on the OM1T

Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:57 pm

Waterbound, although I didn't have an OM1T, I did have an OM1aJL, and it was a terrific guitar. It only got displaced by a '30s 000-18. When I sold it, I kept the "Bill" case for the vintage guitar. (Silver Creek or Superior/Guardian are pretty sturdy case at just over $120) We all have sound preferences and if you don't care for the dry T sound, put it in another case and sell it. I'm sure you can find another OM that suits your taste.

Flash

Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:17 pm

I have an OM1a and am OM1aJL. Love them both but if I can only have one, it would be the former. Something special about the original Collings sound that makes my socks go up and down.

JohnFrink

Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:38 am

I've had five OM1Ts, all great guitars, and I still have one; I'm particular about neck profiles, and the one I have now fits me perfectly. There are times when I think it's the best guitar ever made, and other times when I think it's gone to sleep. If you haven't already tried them on your guitar, I'd suggest trying these two D'Addario sets: EFT-16 and NB-12 - the Flat-Tops bring a little extra warmth, and the Nickel-Bronze give a distinctly different voice. I switch back and forth when I'm in the mood for something different. My standard OM strings are D'Addario EJ-16, by the way. Hope this helps.
Bourgeois OM CB HS, Collings OM1T, OM1Mh, OM3Mh, RainSong CH-OM-N2, Santa Cruz OM

waterbound

Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:57 pm

JohnFrink wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:38 am I've had five OM1Ts, all great guitars, and I still have one; I'm particular about neck profiles, and the one I have now fits me perfectly. There are times when I think it's the best guitar ever made, and other times when I think it's gone to sleep. If you haven't already tried them on your guitar, I'd suggest trying these two D'Addario sets: EFT-16 and NB-12 - the Flat-Tops bring a little extra warmth, and the Nickel-Bronze give a distinctly different voice. I switch back and forth when I'm in the mood for something different. My standard OM strings are D'Addario EJ-16, by the way. Hope this helps.
I usually keep EJ - 16's on it. I tried the new Martin Acoustic strings and they were terrible (although they sound great on my twenty year old Winfield). I'll give the ones you suggested a try. Thanks

dansprucefir

Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:19 pm

Waterbound, I am on my 3rd OM1T and my 4th Collings OM1. I have had a OM1A (2014) that I loved and kind of regret selling. I had an OM1AJL that I never bonded with, maybe it was just to dry, but the tone never did it for me. I had an OM1T which was outstanding new but got soft and mushy over the next several months (this has happened with a few new sitka guitars I have owned). I now have an OM1AT which I am truly loving. I have had it since July and it makes me happy every time I pick it up.

Dan

sgarrity

Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:06 pm

What is it you don’t like about it?

waterbound

Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:25 pm

sgarrity wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:06 pm What is it you don’t like about it?
Really hard to put my finger on it. Just sounds a bit "sterile".

Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:46 pm

While it's not the "T," I have an OM1a JL. Love the guitar. I played an OM1A for years prior. On the plus side verse the OM1a, the JL is more responsive and has a slightly more scooped EQ to its tone, more bass, and a more fundamental "dry" tone. Less Collings sparkle and a little less volume too (or the downside). I played a '46 0018 last summer and found it was similar to the JL. I have the 1 11/16" nut/neck on mine.

With so many guitars out there, if you don't like the T, move along to something else.

I want to hear more from JohnFink and the sorting of the 5 OMs! Did they all differ?

sgarrity

Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:35 pm

Collings tend to be really consistent but they aren't all amazing. I had an OM1A about 10 years ago that was just kind of flat. Not bad but didn't live up to the Collings brand. I sold it and after the buyer had it for 2-3 weeks he emailed me and said "Now I know why you sold it...."

Have you owned Collings before? They're known for their clarity which some people say makes them sound sterile. Fewer overtones, not as woody as say a Martin. That's one of the things that makes them popular with the bluegrass and flat picking crowd. They are excellent jam guitars.

Maybe you'd prefer a rosewood model? I have an OM2H Traditional with baked Sitka top. Far and away the favorite Collings I've owned. For me the best wood combos Collings does is Sitka or German over EIR and Adirondack over mahogany.