New to the forum and NGD: OM1T

JohnFrink

Re: New to the forum and NGD: OM1T

Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:01 pm

Wproffitt wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:34 am What tops did you go with? Which top did you stick with in the end?
Sitka, baked Sitka, Adirondack. Not a very big sample, but Collings is so consistent, IMO, that the comparison was valid, at least for me. Baked Sitka over Mahogany works best for my music and my playing style; other players might have chosen differently. Wonderful guitar.
Bourgeois OM CB HS, Collings OM1T, OM1Mh, OM3Mh, RainSong CH-OM-N2, Santa Cruz OM

Wproffitt

Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:27 pm

JohnFrink wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:01 pm
Wproffitt wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:34 am What tops did you go with? Which top did you stick with in the end?
Sitka, baked Sitka, Adirondack. Not a very big sample, but Collings is so consistent, IMO, that the comparison was valid, at least for me. Baked Sitka over Mahogany works best for my music and my playing style; other players might have chosen differently. Wonderful guitar.
I understand what you’re saying about questioning your sample size but it sounds like you liked what you heard. When I saw online demos of this model, I thought, “that’s what an acoustic should sound like!”, so there you go. Was the Adirondack topped one louder or more dynamic? Also, is the difference between the Sitka and the baked Sitka very pronounced to you or is it fairly subtle? I must admit that I happened to like the look of this particular top so that was no small part of the consideration. :)

JohnFrink

Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:06 am

Wproffitt wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:27 pm Was the Adirondack topped one louder or more dynamic? Also, is the difference between the Sitka and the baked Sitka very pronounced to you or is it fairly subtle?
The difference I perceived between the Adirondack and the Sitka tops is hard to describe. The best I can do is to say the Adirondack top sounded as if it expressed its fundamental and its overtones at the same instant, in the same "fat" note, so to speak; whereas the Sitka top seemed to produce the fundamental, and then its overtones very slightly spread out in time immediately following the fundamental. Thus the Sitka top sounded a bit "richer" to me, because each note carried with it a trail of "pixie dust", and the Adirondack top sounded less "complex" but "cleaner" because all its tones were generated in a shorter space of time. Both were great, but the Sitka top felt more "musical" to my ears. A very personal choice, of course.

Neither top was louder, though in my experience most Adirondack tops have more headroom than most Sitka tops, and a good Adirondack top can have a nice "elastic" feel to it.

I thought the difference between the Sitka and baked Sitka tops was subtle, but noticeable; the baked top felt richer, warmer, looser, "happier". Both were great, but I strongly preferred the baked Sitka top.

Hope this helps.
Bourgeois OM CB HS, Collings OM1T, OM1Mh, OM3Mh, RainSong CH-OM-N2, Santa Cruz OM

MSEV

Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:57 pm

Yes, John Frink. Thank you for your comments!
Bob K
Omaha

Wproffitt

Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:38 am

Thanks so much for the thorough response, John. For the record, I’m pretty site that I would have been happy with whichever of the tops I’d chosen, but your description seems to comport with what I’ve heard and read about these tops on this particular model. One last question: Do you have a favorite string for this guitar? I’ve still got it strung with the stock D’Addarios, but would like to try some others to see how they affect the sound.

uponamouse

Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:37 pm

Welcome, and congratulations on a great guitar. That is a gorgeous silky piece of Sitka!
Cheers, Tom

JohnFrink

Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:27 pm

Wproffitt wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:38 am Do you have a favorite string for this guitar? I’ve still got it strung with the stock D’Addarios, but would like to try some others to see how they affect the sound.
My "standard" strings for an OM are D'Addario EJ-16s, and I think they sound great on the OM1T. However, since I play with metal fingerpicks and a metal thumb pick, a naturally "bright" guitar like a Collings can sometimes sound a bit "zingy", so I usually keep D'Addario EFT-16s ("Flat-Tops") on the OM1T; they're naturally a bit less bright than the EJ-16s, to me they sound and feel "warm", and they reduce finger-squeaks a lot. Another set I recommend for someone who wants to try something different are D'Addario Nickel-Bronze NB1253; quite a different sound, but very nice in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

signed8bit

Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:40 am

Congrats Wproffitt! I had an 001 14-Fret T on order with Artisan when I was slightly tempted to pick up that very OM T instead after their video. It looks and sounds fantastic. I ended up with a stellar 001 14 though. Enjoy!

Wproffitt

Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:42 pm

JohnFrink, thanks for the string recommendations. I’m looking forward to trying a few things with this, not because I think there’s anything wrong, but because I’m a tinkerer by nature.

Signed8bit, thanks for your kind words. How’s that OO1 14-fret?

signed8bit

Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:05 pm

Wproffitt wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:42 pm Signed8bit, thanks for your kind words. How’s that OO1 14-fret?
Loving it so far. It's my first Collings. I'll get a post up with some pics as I am new to the forum too.