New Member/New Collings: DS1A

oasis02

New Member/New Collings: DS1A

Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:07 pm

Hello,

I found this forum in search of information on the Collings DS1. It looks like a great resource for Collings information!

At this time, I play electric 90% of the time but I found myself with some store credit as a result of some recent transactions.

I decided it was time to re-enter the acoustic world. My pinnacle prior to this was a SC Paisley model.

This time, I was looking for something in the Mahogany fold. I've been listening to a lot of Knopfler, and I can hear that D18 sound in a lot of his music.

I didn't even "mark" this guitar as a possible contender, but one of the ship guys walked-over and started strumming it. Sold. This was exactly what I wanted to hear.

I thought it was comfortable and played nicely. It was also a 2019 with some "T" series appointments that the previous owner had just sold them back. It was immaculate.

The 12 frets didn't concern me, because I rarely find myself beyond fret 12 acoustically...and that far down the board is relatively rare.

It hasn't been long, but so far, so good. This one makes me want to learn more than the very small circle of acoustic tricks I currently know. No regrets!

ImageDS1A by ,

Kevin

Re: New Member/New Collings: DS1A

Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:17 pm

Welcome to the forum.

That's a beautiful guitar. I've always been attracted to 12-fet dreadnoughts and that particular model would be the one I'd choose. I cant justify it whilst keeping my OM2h, though. Although Collings' guitars aren't rare (in the US, at least; they're a bit thinner on the ground here in the UK), the 'S' dreads are a bit less common and I'd guess the mahogany models are even less numerous than the rosewood. A good choice, you are lucky to own it.

Silly Moustache will hopefully see this post and give you some of his his vast experience of 12-fret guitars and Collings' guitars generally. If you've not seen it, look at his YT channel.

Regards,
Kevin

Wproffitt

Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:51 pm

Wow! A 12-fret slot-head Dread? That must be quite the cannon! What Traditional appointments does it have?

Hokiebob

Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:37 am

Welcome to our corner of the internet. I'm betting that guitar is a real canon and I know that you will enjoy taking acoustic breaks from your electric playing.

I suspect many of us have similar stories about hearing a guitar in a store and knowing it was the one.
Last edited by Hokiebob on Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob

AllThumbsBruce

Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:43 am

There is nothing like a 12 fret slothead Collings dread. I wish I would have pulled the trigger on one I played a few years ago.

oasis02

Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:32 pm

I did check-out the "Silly Moustache" videos while I was demo-ing this guitar. They certainly helped shape my decision because I was truly unfamiliar with this model.

"What Traditional appointments does it have?" It was priced quite a bit higher than a 2019 DS1A typically would be, so I asked. I know it has the thin nitro application, but I'm not sure what else.

They were familiar with it when it was new, and the prices made sense particularly after hearing it.

I sent an e-mail to Collings for verification, so hopefully I'll get a spec sheet after they open for the new year.

Thanks to all for the kind replies!

uponamouse

Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:39 pm

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your guitar! I've always wanted to try the DS model.
Cheers, Tom

Silly Moustache

Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:18 pm

Hi, bit late to this party, but always good to hear about another convert to the 12 fret club.
I realised that I needed wider fretboards way back in the '90s and searched for a long time for a Martin D18/28/35-S but none were to be had.
I discovered my first Collings , either the second Collings, or the second Collings DS2h to come into the UK in 1999.

Martin have dropped their VS and other 12 fret ranges so tanks to Collings for keeping this line going.
On my YouTube channel - Silly Moustache - you'll find a lot of videos using and talking about my Collings DS2h, Ds1,DS1a-sb and my 0002h.

Try this one for a start. https://youtu.be/7dUPK1SLxeM

Silly Moustache

Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:20 pm

This one might also be of interest. https://youtu.be/wLyJQrO2VKg

Bronco

Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:29 pm

I owned a DS1A a while back and it was awesome. Big guitar that feels smaller and very comfortable in the lap (to me) because of the positioning of the sound hole and overall geometry.

I sold it to finance another purchase, but sure wish I still had that one. Definitely a regret of mine that I don’t still have it.

Enjoy and congrats on a great guitar!