C10s: Top Wood - Sitka vs. Adi (baked vs. non-baked)

Michael Ray

C10s: Top Wood - Sitka vs. Adi (baked vs. non-baked)

Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:21 pm

Hi Everyone,

Yes, another round on the topic of top wood -- applied to the C10. Can I get input from those who have compared Sitka to Adirondack on C10s?

Here's the back story: I've had a regular Sitka/hog C10 from 2012 as the original owner, and I've recently gotten to spend time with a used 2017 C10 with baked Sitka & mahogany. Here's what I'm observing: Both regular and baked Sitka are both wonderful guitars. The non-baked Sitka may have a more full midrange. The baked Sitka, which has this lovely golden color to the top, has some additional sizzle in both the trebles up the neck and possibly a slight bit more focus to the open E string in the bass. Now, I'm REALLY enjoying them both side by side. They both terrific. As I go back and forth between the two, I like that sizzle and sparkle on the baked Sitka, but then I shift back to the regular Sitka, and there is a real presence to that guitar at this stage.

So now, I'm wondering about Adi on a C10... will Adi do it all? Might it be worth the hunt for an Adi-topped C10. I have enjoyed Adi on other Collings before, but I've never played a C10 with Adi.

Looking forward to hearing your input on this topic. Thanks!

MSEV

Re: C10s: Top Wood - Sitka vs. Adi (baked vs. non-baked)

Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:06 pm

Wonderful question and thoughts.
Just to throw in another option: My C-10 has a German top (over Mahogany) and I wouldn't trade it for any other. Amazing guitar.
And I am an Adi fan, with it on my 01A and my 001A 14 fret!
Bob K
Omaha