D1 with terrified top

JohnB

Re: D1 with terrified top

Fri May 21, 2021 10:47 pm

We each have different perceptions of the guitars based on our experiences. And that is almost certainly true with different styles of play and different kinds of material. I am also a fairly long time Collings player with experience both auditioning, and owning multiple Collings. I have five right now. I am also a singer--have been one almost all my life; and consider myself a singer well before a guitarist. Just wanted to add that I exchanged a non-torrified D1A, which was and is a great guitar, for my D1AT with a torrified top because the D1AT was a better guitar for me to sing with. I found the D1AT with the torrified top easier to partner with. I do think I hear some of what you hear because the non-torrified Collings seem--for Collings--a little more lush than the torrified models; but, for me, with the torrified dreadnought I can find more delicacy and nuance--and it is plenty lush for the material I sing, and of course for my voice.

I don't find that the case with the smaller guitars. Both my non-torrified OMs are spectacular companions when singing.

Acoustic Dave

Re: D1 with terrified top

Sat May 22, 2021 12:23 am

Interesting JohnB. Appreciate your perspective and take on the matter.