Collings Julian Lage OM

BAR

Collings Julian Lage OM

Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:27 pm

Would love to hear your feedback from those of you who have/had this guitar regarding the style of music you play and how versatile you have found this guitar to be. And also if you changed the strings from the nickel wound they came with to a phosphor bronze and what that did to the tone.

Many thanks!

MSEV

Re: Collings Julian Lage OM

Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:56 pm

Yes, let's hear. I also wanted to know:

"And also if you changed the strings from the nickel wound they came with to a phosphor bronze and what that did to the tone."
Bob K
Omaha

Greg Y

Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:19 am

I play Bluegrass, BG & OT fiddle tunes. I'm not a fan of nickel bronze strings. I put 80/20 round cores on. A great guitar w nice dry fundamental tone. I'm not keen on the metallic tone of PBs.
Last edited by Greg Y on Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAR

Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:52 am

Thanks Greg!

Peanut73

Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:25 pm

I had an OM1AJL and I miss it dearly (looking to get another).

I play everything from lead to fingerstyle to rhythm. I would not put anything else but NB lights on a Julian. I tried my old JL with PB's and did not love it as much.

This might sound strange, but if I wanted to used 80/20's or PBs, I'd probably get an OM1T/AT Satin instead. They are slightly different guitars to my ears. I do prefer the Julian neck though.

Also should note that I don't like light gauge strings, but they work well on the JL, especially as NB.

shotzy

Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:10 am

Peanut73 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:25 pm I had an OM1AJL and I miss it dearly (looking to get another).

I play everything from lead to fingerstyle to rhythm. I would not put anything else but NB lights on a Julian. I tried my old JL with PB's and did not love it as much.

This might sound strange, but if I wanted to used 80/20's or PBs, I'd probably get an OM1T/AT Satin instead. They are slightly different guitars to my ears. I do prefer the Julian neck though.

Also should note that I don't like light gauge strings, but they work well on the JL, especially as NB.
In what scenarios would you prefer an OM1T/AT?
----------------------------------
Collings OM1AT
Santa Cruz OM Grand (German / EIR)

My youtube guitar channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj1rzB ... 3l6XeRMktQ

GreatWestern

Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:24 am

I have a JL with an Adi top and love it. Took a while to get it sounding good (got it new) but it's a gem now.

The JL in particular, with its ultra thin finish, light weight and comfy neck, feels like it melts into my body when I play it. It feels like a living thing.

I find it excels when played with fingers. It's also astonishing with a pick- the range of available volume, from whisper to shout, and the quickness of response, are outstanding.

It's fine for old-fashioned folky strumming. It would not be my first choice if that were all I played, and I disagree with some comments I've read that say these aren't good strummers because of the distinct note separation. Maybe that's true when they're new but mine has developed more resonance and a bit of shimmer as it's been played in. I'm sure its voice will continue to develop over the years.

I tried EJ16s on it and it was OK, but have tended to go back to the NBs or similar.

BAR

Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:18 pm

"The JL in particular, with its ultra thin finish, light weight and comfy neck, feels like it melts into my body when I play it. It feels like a living thing."

Well said.

Georgelange

Wed May 12, 2021 10:54 pm

I bought one and played it for a while and then went back to the store and played a new one. In my opinion, the new one sounded better. It was brighter and did t need much to get sounding very loud and nice. So I traded my old one in for the new one. This guitar , when played with a pick, sounds absolutely amazing! It it as aloud as a dreadnought and the neck is nice. I like the bigger necks in general but this smaller one is fine too. The headstock on the new OM even has a little stripe down the Center. This gives it a little custom look. The Adirondacks have a bit of bear clawing going on too.

Bluesandswing

Wed May 12, 2021 11:34 pm

I love mine. On one hand it feels delicate but I also find myself surprised at the volume and bass response. Really a great guitar that as others have said...really seems to work well with any style. Very dry very quick response that may seem quite different at first, but its also a sound that grows on you and I really have come to love it.