Collings Julian Lage OM

GreatWestern

Re: Collings Julian Lage OM

Thu May 13, 2021 2:39 am

I recently tried EJ16s again on my JL. They were fine but I went back to NB with last string change. For me the NBs seem to help this guitar go in the direction it prefers.

It is such an interesting machine, dry and fundamental, yet the light weight and build give it an added dash of reverb and a certain springy resonance. The more I play it the more it comes alive and develops depth. I prefer a wider nut but this neck is so comfortable I can play for hours.

I love this guitar. I don’t think it’s for everyone but it’s certainly for me!

Georgelange

Thu May 13, 2021 3:33 pm

A lot of work was done to make it sound as good as or better than the original one that Julian Lage owns. It has an amazing bass response and a great vintage loud tone

armdog

Fri May 14, 2021 4:47 pm

Nobody has mentioned a couple of string sets that come to mind. My CJmhA has always been fussy about harmonics. I just replaced the D A'dd NBs with a set of SCGC Mid tension (think medium gauge) a few weeks ago. Bingo ! Never sounded so excellent.

Their 'Low' tension set is on my SCGC VJ, just great. Might be really good on the JL although I don't have experience with that model.

Also, I just put on a set of the new D'Add XS nano coated Lights on my old Martin OM... they are smooth to the feel and nothing like any prev coated strings out there in my experience.

They both cost more but last much longer. 2c bert

https://santacruzguitar.com/santa-cruz- ... n-strings/

GreatWestern

Sat May 15, 2021 1:26 pm

Good idea on the string recommendations. I have a set of the SC parabolics on my D1AT and like them so far. Maybe I’ll try them on the JL.

I haven’t tried the coated D’Addarios but might do so.