pto

Re: Favorite Collings tonewood combo

Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:17 am

brazilian german

Red Oak

Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:45 pm

pto wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:17 ambrazilian german
This is another great combination! As I read other opinions, it’s clear to me that whatever you go with, Collings will build a great guitar!!

shotzy

Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:55 pm

Loving all the responses so far!
MSEV wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:34 pm I prefer hog/adi and hog/German for all I do. Love them both.
Bob - Curious how you'd describe the differences between adi vs german over mahogany? Do you prefer one over the other for certain styles of music?
----------------------------------
Collings OM1AT
Santa Cruz OM Grand (German / EIR)

My youtube guitar channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj1rzB ... 3l6XeRMktQ

mysteryfingerstyle

Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:24 pm

My favorite was German Spruce/Mahogany but I recently picked up a used C10 ss with torrefied adirondack and torrefied maple that has an absolutely magical tone. Literally can’t believe how good it sounds.

MSEV

Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:45 pm

shotzy wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:55 pm Loving all the responses so far!
MSEV wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:34 pm I prefer hog/adi and hog/German for all I do. Love them both.
Bob - Curious how you'd describe the differences between adi vs german over mahogany? Do you prefer one over the other for certain styles of music?
I am not discerning enough to choose one over the other for one kind of song or style of playing vs another. I also don't think I can tell you the difference between my guitars in how they sound. But I will try. And they all have different necks, and I enjoy all of them (the 01 has a VN neck).
I have, currently, according to age (oldest first): C-10 German/hog, 01A, 001A 14 fret. I have ordered all three from Collings. I have owned many other Collings guitars over the last dozen years. The finest and easiest to play was a Brazilian D with a German top with wavy grain that played so easily and full of fabulous sound. I have settled down into smaller guitars and short scale. A small bodied Brazillian/German could tempt me...
I loved the C-10 immediately as a fabulous guitar. The 01A I didn't like the look or sound, tone-rited it for weeks and weeks, put it away, almost sold or traded it, just didn't like it, but hung on. Maybe a year ago (it must be five years old?) it just woke up, and I began to appreciate the Western Shade. It is one that the luthier couldn't put down when he played it when I had a K&K pickup put in it recently. A real amazing sounding guitar. The 001A 14 fret is newer, of course, being a new model, and sounding very nice when I got it. But it doesn't have the full sound of the other two, so it has been on the tone-rite for weeks and weeks. With the C-10 having the sunburst, the 0 the Western Burst, and the 00 being natural, they are quite beautiful small bodied guitars. They are all fantastic, but the 00 just is not fantastic (full? rich? aged adi quality?) enough yet, but I am confident that it will mature like my 01A did and like many adi topped guitars do. I just have never found other woods to ring the way I like as much has hog/adi and German/adi. My 2 cents.
Bob K
Omaha

Eric Jones

Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:51 pm

MSEV wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:45 pm A small bodied Brazillian/German could tempt me...
https://www.carmelmusic.com/stocklist/index.html

...don’t mention it. ;)

JeffM

Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:09 pm

I have a' '93 sitka/rosewood D-2H, a '96 ad/mahogany D1A, and a '03 sitka/maple SJ. All of them are perfect combinations for what they do. For the rosewood guitar I prefer sitka over adirondack because it adds a warmth and resonance; for the D1A the adirondack complements the dry mahogany sound profile; for the SJ the maple is already very dry with a quick decay and needs a bit of warmth, hence the sitka top. For a number of years I used to think that guitars had to have adirondack tops. Now I actually prefer sitka for some applications. I haven't had much experience with other spruce tops. So, answer is no combination is my favorite. The combinations work differently depending on the woods and guitar size.

MSEV

Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:15 pm

Eric Jones wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:51 pm
MSEV wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:45 pm A small bodied Brazillian/German could tempt me...
https://www.carmelmusic.com/stocklist/index.html

...don’t mention it. ;)
Of course, I had to immediately go to the Carmel site. If you know about them at all, you know that they only have fantastic guitars. Blew my mind seeing that Cutaway C-10 with the Collings Sunburst. Brazillian/German! But there are three petty reasons (that matter to me) why I won't buy that winner of a guitar: it's not short scale, it is not 1 3/4ths nut, it has the ivoroid bound fretboard. Now, just see if you can, just try and tempt me with Braz/German with a Collings small bodied, short scale, 1 3/4ths nut, no light color (white/ivoroid) binding on the neck! See if you can find one of those! (If you find one of those I'll go crazy and have to buy it! So I am warning you, do not tempt me! ;) )
Bob K
Omaha

JeffM

Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:53 pm

I guess there are signature tonewood combos. For my Collings guitars I prefer sitka with rosewood on my D-2H, adirondack with mahogany on my D1A, and on my SJ i have sitka with maple. I like these combinations.