No More Collings Cases?

MSEV

Re: No More Collings Cases?

Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:47 am

The good news, in a way, seems to be that Collings guitars are in great demand.
The bad news is they are probably not going to be making any more traditional cases.
Bob K
Omaha

Red Oak

Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:52 am

MSEV wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:47 am The good news, in a way, seems to be that Collings guitars are in great demand.
The bad news is they are probably not going to be making any more traditional cases.
The new CJ45T appears to be a spectacular addition to Collings’ line. The company is headed in the right direction!

GreatWestern

Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:53 pm

alphasports wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:14 pm Maybe a bit off-topic but the Ameritage case they shipped with my CL Deluxe is fantastic, can't really imagine a better case but then again mine doesn't spend half its life on airplanes.
The Ameritage cases with the electrics are incredibly nice. The Ameritage acoustic cases are well made but very heavy and fairly large.

The Collings-made acoustic cases, like their guitars, are things of beauty in form and function. I just nabbed one of the last of the OM cases from their site. I emailed Collings to see if they might make more in the future (I’d read they might do batches of them) and was told they have fully stopped production indefinitely.

Anyway thanks for the head’s up!

6l6

Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:31 pm

All of my acoustics (including my Collings D2H, D2HA, and D-1) live in Hiscox Pro II cases.

Very lightweight, super strong, and equipped with "D" rings to hook a shoulder strap to (leaves your other hands free to carry other luggage when traveling). Since 2013 I've been making multiple trips/yr between San Francisco and Europe, always taking a nice dread with me.

The cases have proven more than once that they can take anything you hand it and come out in one piece with the guitar emerging unharmed. At only $300, these cases are a no brainer and in my own experience, have proven time and again they are up to the task. AND... my 75 year old back LOVES the light weight!

Me and my Hiscox Pro II case at Sanderstead Station, UK in 2019. Inside was my Martin '39 D-18A. I'd just finished playing at the Lime Meadow Rugby Club and was catching the last train of the day back to Victoria Station in London:

uponamouse

Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:00 pm

Thanks for the info about your experience with the Hiscox cases. Thanks also for the great picture!!
Cheers, Tom

remco

Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:18 pm

uponamouse wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:00 pm Thanks for the info about your experience with the Hiscox cases. Thanks also for the great picture!!

I have two Hiscox cases including the "artist" model which is hardly produced.
I have not yet traveled by plane with these cases but they are still very suitable for car or train travel.
Remi
Attachments
61A5l6J6s6L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Red Oak

Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:33 pm

These look like great cases. Thanks for posting!!

Georgelange

Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:00 pm

If you have a really good guitar, these cases are the best thing for them. I have three cases so far and I have bought one from Collings. These cases are works of art. The craftsmanship is the best I have seen. I love the hardware components and really the whole set up. It is too bad they are discontinued.

GreatWestern

Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:01 pm

I totally agree on the cases being works of art. Obviously a different beast than a workhorse flight case such as Hiscox, which serves another valuable purpose.

The Collings cases are elegant, visually and functionally. I’m afraid I made a few recent purchases to reel in a couple of the cases. The guitars inside aren’t too bad either!

adirondack&spruce

Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:16 pm

Im guilty of that too! I bought a used CJ35 just so i could get the vintage case. I eventually sold the CJ35, now the case sits empty waiting for the CJ45. 8-)

I've seen a few killers deals on Reverb before the cases were discontinued, where you could of bought (say a d2h) with the handmade case, then turn around and sell the d2h(provided you had another generic hard case for it) and basically get the Vintage case for free!

I know cause i sold a D1T with Handmade case(needed to sell quick), then the guy relisted D1T with a TKL for same price as i sold it. It took awhile but it sold for same price.

FYI, looks like the last few OM case sold on Collings website. Now all showing Sold Out.

Enjoy the hunt for these cool cases!