No More Collings Cases?

Kevin

Re: No More Collings Cases?

Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:16 pm

Could somebody just clarify for me, please: is Collings no longer making and supplying their in-house Traditional cases and also no longer supplying TKL- made (Collings' badged) standard cases? i.e. no cases at all with a new Collings' guitar.

Is this also the case (sorry for the poor pun) for their electric models and mandolins?

TravH

Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:59 pm

adirondack&spruce wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:51 pm They are discontinued unfortunately. I've been snapping them up as much as possible lately.

I agree, the TKL case just doesnt do justice to a Collings guitar. The vintage cases are a work of art. It really completes the whole Collings experience.

Collings website had some D and OM in stock last week or so, but now only OM's left. Im sure they will sell out very soon.

Folkway Music im Canada had a D Case in stock on website. Better get it before i decide to buy it 😉

Good luck with search.👍
Before I go overboard in my search.... Could you tell me what the Trad D case weighs in at? I can't seem to find weight spes no matter where I look.

Thanks!

Trav

TravH

Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:10 pm

Kevin wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:16 pm Could somebody just clarify for me, please: is Collings no longer making and supplying their in-house Traditional cases and also no longer supplying TKL- made (Collings' badged) standard cases? i.e. no cases at all with a new Collings' guitar.

Is this also the case (sorry for the poor pun) for their electric models and mandolins?
I couldn't say with certainty if being made or phased out or what the status with the cases are but I'm pretty sure new Collings come with a case! They have to ship and store in something!

My TKL is 7 years old and super over built, super heavy. It's just OK. Not so far off the mark that TKL could tighten up design and make much better. I had a Marin D-28 Marquis of the same vintage and it had a similar but MUCH better case! So we have the technology to improve stock cases!

I wonder who makes Martin cases? I was told Geib but think that's a style not a manufacturer..... I've been known to be wrong before a couple times! :D

Trav

JohnB

Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:48 pm

Collings still come, as before the "handmade"" cases, in TKL cases. The puzzle is why the Collings cases are still featured prominently on the website. According to the site, you can still purchase an OM case, while all the others are listed as "sold out." I have no idea whether you can get an OM case, or whether the case that seems available is just a mistake in web housekeeping.

I love the Collings cases and am fortunate to have them for all but one of my five Collings. (They never got around to making them for the SJ).

Kevin

Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:50 pm

Thanks for the reply, Trav. One or two posts said the TKL cases are not up to Collings' standard and I misinterpreted this as Collings are no longer supplying TKL cases - you are right in that it would be difficult to package and ship them without a case. i knew the Traditional cases were no longer supplied with the T guitars and that they were only available as a separate purchase. It's a bit of a shame that they are no longer going to be made at all as I saw them as something Bill designed and made to 'complete the package' but if people aren't buying them in sufficient quantities to make it viable then a line has to be drawn. I wonder if Bill ever thought abought making a guitar stand to further 'add to the package'? That would have been interesting...

I find the TKL case for my OM2h fine enough, not especially good or bad, but can understand people thinking a Collings deserves something a bit better.

Not sure about Martin cases, I've done a quick Google and it seems they have fairly recently used TKL and GWW but lots of people saying the cases from the last few years are not as good as they used to be - not sure who made the 'good' cases from a few years ago. I used to have an OM28 and think it was in a GWW case which was, similiar to my current Collings/TKL, 'fine enough'.
Last edited by Kevin on Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin

Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:01 pm

JohnB wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:48 pm The puzzle is why the Collings cases are still featured prominently on the website. According to the site, you can still purchase an OM case, while all the others are listed as "sold out." I have no idea whether you can get an OM case, or whether the case that seems available is just a mistake in web housekeeping.

I love the Collings cases and am fortunate to have them for all but one of my five Collings. (They never got around to making them for the SJ).
@adirondack&spruce said there are just OM cases left but will probably sell out soon so that's why they're still on the site.

Lucky you having 5 Collings (and 4 of the nice cases). What models do you have as well as the SJ?

JohnB

Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:32 pm

Kevin,

In addition to a maple SJG--an OM1ASB, OM2GSS, CJ35GSB and D1AT (with a lightly baked top).

Kevin

Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:49 pm

Very nice, John. 'Play them in good health'.

Kevin

RyHardGuy

Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:00 pm

Hello! New member here with a relevant anecdotal experience. I just recently purchased a new 2020 OM2H (completed in November) from a Collings dealer and it came in a Collings branded TKL case. Since this was a dream guitar, I was on the fence about buying a Collings-made case to complete the package. This thread helped me make my decision :D Thankfully, the OM case is still available so I snagged one last night and just got shipping confirmation which tells me that at least the OM cases are still available while supplies last. If they actually are done making their own cases, I’m happy I was able to get one!

JohnB

Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:12 pm

RyHardGuy wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:00 pm Hello! New member here with a relevant anecdotal experience. I just recently purchased a new 2020 OM2H (completed in November) from a Collings dealer and it came in a Collings branded TKL case. Since this was a dream guitar, I was on the fence about buying a Collings-made case to complete the package. This thread helped me make my decision :D Thankfully, the OM case is still available so I snagged one last night and just got shipping confirmation which tells me that at least the OM cases are still available while supplies last. If they actually are done making their own cases, I’m happy I was able to get one!
Can't imagine you won't be happy with the new case. They are elegant, and, most importantly to me, light. I carry the guitars around enough to be grateful for the reduced size and weight. And I think you're right, the case does complete the package.