Questions on Collings "0" guitars.....

marc51

Questions on Collings "0" guitars.....

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:37 pm

I'm thinking about picking up a Collings "0" size guitar, and my choices are:

1. 01MH- Mahogany sides, Bottom, and top
2. O1- Mahogany sides and bottom, and Sitka top
3. 02H- Rosewood sides and bottom, and Sitka top

Just wondering which will have a warmer sound; mostly used for strumming.

All insight appreciated.

Thank you,
marc

zeke

Re: Questions on Collings "0" guitars.....

Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:21 pm

i've owned a 0-1A and a 0-1G, and currently own a 0-1Mah. i think the mahogany top has the warmest sound, and is the best for strumming. for me, it's a great "folk" guitar.

shotzy

Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:27 pm

Seems to me the sitka/rosewood version would be the best strummer and have the warmest tone, based on my experience with the tonewood combos you mentioned.
----------------------------------
Collings OM1AT
Santa Cruz OM Grand (German / EIR)

My youtube guitar channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj1rzB ... 3l6XeRMktQ

maplebaby

Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:31 pm

I have an 01A...in 'theory' it's size and tone woods would lean toward a bright guitar that might struggle with balance across the strings. Maybe i got lucky or my ear doesn't hear 'highs' as much as they once did, but i would never describe mine as bright. It has a great tone IMO with a flatpick, strummed and playing lead lines, and very responsive to fingerpicking as well.

The guitar IMO is SO inviting to play...it's size is wonderful and it's voice seems to come out much bolder than the eye might presume. I have a pickup in mine, but this clip is just the guitar with my fingers as a reference. This may not be any help at all but i'm hoping it might help some. Good luck...put me down as a HUGE fan of this little jewel from my friends in Austin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rcbnkq ... 6A1A1&t=0s

f5joe

Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:09 pm

maplebaby wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:31 pm I have an 01A...in 'theory' it's size and tone woods would lean toward a bright guitar that might struggle with balance across the strings. Maybe i got lucky or my ear doesn't hear 'highs' as much as they once did, but i would never describe mine as bright. It has a great tone IMO with a flatpick, strummed and playing lead lines, and very responsive to fingerpicking as well.

The guitar IMO is SO inviting to play...it's size is wonderful and it's voice seems to come out much bolder than the eye might presume. I have a pickup in mine, but this clip is just the guitar with my fingers as a reference. This may not be any help at all but i'm hoping it might help some. Good luck...put me down as a HUGE fan of this little jewel from my friends in Austin.

Great video, as always! Thanks for being here! Love that guitar.

maplebaby

Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:42 pm

f5joe wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:09 pm
maplebaby wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:31 pm I have an 01A...in 'theory' it's size and tone woods would lean toward a bright guitar that might struggle with balance across the strings. Maybe i got lucky or my ear doesn't hear 'highs' as much as they once did, but i would never describe mine as bright. It has a great tone IMO with a flatpick, strummed and playing lead lines, and very responsive to fingerpicking as well.

Great video, as always! Thanks for being here! Love that guitar.
Thank you for the kind welcome...i just today found out we have a new Collings Forum!

your friend,
dale