Torrefied Cracks?

TravH

Torrefied Cracks?

Fri May 21, 2021 11:32 pm

Hi,

I've been seeing a few mentions of torrefied woods cracking. Mostly Fender guitar peg heads at the tuner holes. I've read a few discussions of the wood being more "fragile".

Seems like Collings has been all in on torrefied for at least 5 years and figure they did due diligence but I'm curious if any problems are starting to crop up or if extremes of RH are expressing in more issues of such woods.

Thanks!

Trav

Georgelange

Re: Torrefied Cracks?

Sat May 22, 2021 11:14 pm

I have two Pre- war company guitars with cracks in their tops. I had to have them repaired with hide glue. I have heard that the torrefied tops could crack easier

maplebaby

Sun May 23, 2021 12:25 pm

from reliable people I trust I think the fortified phenom might not work out well for some.

TravH

Sun May 23, 2021 3:19 pm

Right!

I read more about headstocks of roasted maple cracking super easy by using too small pilot hole/too big screw for tuners.

I imagine like baking cookies where there's a fine line between perfectly done and too done and burnt. Just a few seconds can mess up your chocolate chips! I've not investigated the technology of how it's actually done in depth but know it involved heat, humidity and time variables...

My Telecaster has a roasted maple neck and I had not played it for a few months...maybe a year! I have it in my RV in a gig bag. Pulled it out yesterday...still in tune! Stability in changing climate is why I went with roasted ash neck. Did the same trips a year ago with a regular Telecaster neck and extreme fret sprouting! I filed down and it stabilized when back to "regular" RH but still a bummer.