What Guitars do you have that you wish you could get by Collings?

Martin, Bourgeois, Santa Cruz, Gibson, Merrill, Froggy Bottom, Borges, Brondel, Blazer & Henkes, Huss & Dalton, Taylor, Circa, etc.
DenverSteve

Re: What Guitars do you have that you wish you could get by Collings?

Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:16 pm

None. I don't buy "X" brand guitars because they copied the 'Y" brand guitar I really like. I buy guitars that speak to me to be used in my professional work. I buy Martins for what they bring to the table. I buy Collings for the same reason. For example, I recently sold a Martin D41 Turbo because I was playing my Collings D1 Custom baked more. I could have sold the Collings and bought a D-18 but ... why...? The D1 is the finest Mahogany dread I've ever played so why would I wish it was from another company?
Shalom, Steve
A Few World-Class Tools..........

Red Oak

Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:18 pm

Driver8 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:18 am An Art Deco SJ please, a Waterloo version of the Carson Robinson Jumbo would also be nice, if any of the Austin folks are reading this.
Great suggestions! ! Let's hope the Austin Control Center does read these wishes!!

ripsaw

Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:52 pm

This isn't a guitar & I don't have one but I'd love to see a hollow body bass.
Attachments
bass2.jpg
bass2.jpg (16.85 KiB) Viewed 9797 times

Georgelange

Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:39 pm

How about a D-35 type of guitar with Brazilian Rosewood back and sides? Maybe you could do a nice inlay as well.

Greg Y

Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:37 am

Georgelange, I can't imagine Collings doing a D-35 type guitar.....since it's not a traditional design, but one Martin came up with due to a shortage of wood for 2-piece backs in the mid '60s

DenverSteve

Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:46 am

Georgelange wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:36 pm Wouldn’t it be nice if Collings could make a Pre-war herringbone D28 with aged Adirondack and Brazilian back and sides with their varnish treatment
Sounds like that would be a D2H A Traditional Baked with a custom Brazilian body. Why couldn't they do that? I've got a D2HA Traditional Baked and it's all pre-war specs. Just order one with Brazilian back/sides and, I believe, you will have what you seek. While I don't see BRW on the price sheet, they do have Cocobolo. Cost would be 7375 plus the Coco additional which isn't priced out on the price sheet. You have to call. I don't know why they wouldn't have any BRW for a custom build but maybe not.

For me the answer is nothing. I play Collings for what Collings brings to the table. I play Martins for what Martin brings to the table. I play other brands for..... you get the idea.
Shalom, Steve
A Few World-Class Tools..........