D1a-Varnish - 2016-

marc4045

D1a-Varnish - 2016-

Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:11 pm

For Sale – 2016 Collings - D1a – Varnish - Adi top, braces, 3 piece backstrip, 1 23/32 neck. $4759, o.b.o.

An exceptional Collings D1a – Varnish, custom built for the Music Emporium, very good condition, new Collings (TDK) case, L.R. Baggs Lyric soundboard mic/pickup.

Punchy, and rich. It is ahead turner. I love the way this guitar sings. It is effortless to play

Many of you long-time forum readers will remember this story and will know why this guitar is as good as it is. First of all, this is my sixth Collings – and by far the best. I originally bought this exact model guitar at Music Emporium in 2014 (my 5th). I went to the Emporium and A/B’d every top-end dread they had in their huge collection - Collings, Bougeois, Huss, Martin – you name it. The D1a I bought was the clear winner, the best of the best (and they had at least 20 other Collings’ in the place). This was one they special ordered, with adi top, adi braces, no tongue brace, 3-style backstrip, 1 23/32 neck width.

Some things to know.
• Two years old. VARNISH - Nothing sounds better – This guitar sound like it is 50 years played in. Dry, and woody. This one is loud, punchy and significantly warmer than others Collings i have owne, heard and played. It still has a crisp treble - but not a ‘shrill’ treble. The bass note are pronounce, super clear, and just have “that tone.”
• Very comfortable neck
• Frets are in good shape
• Has an expertly repaired crack on the side (part that rests on your leg) – you don’t see it unless you search for it, didn’t affect the sound at all. Also has some pick marks in the top finish - It is a varnish guitar, and that is the nature of the beast. The case is the one it came in from Collings. Brand new. The day I got the guitar it lived my Mark Leaf case, and the Collings case was never used.

LR. Baggs Lyric - and as they say, it sounds like my guitar, only louder.

If you want to try it - purchase and you will have 3 days to try it. If you decide not to keep it, you are responsible for shipping and insurance. Please, no low-ball offers.

Thanks
Attachments
Collings in case.jpg
Collings top.jpg
Collings pic.jpg

Georgelange

Re: D1a-Varnish - 2016-

Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:08 pm

Have you sold it yet? That guitar must sound as good as you say because I have a similar Collings with varnish and, wow, this guitar finish is a game changer for me

jalmaraz4

Re: D1a-Varnish - 2016-

Mon May 06, 2019 3:46 am

has the guitar sold?