1998 Collings D1AV (vintage) Sunburst - amazing!

toneseeker

1998 Collings D1AV (vintage) Sunburst - amazing!

Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:33 pm

Straddling the line between amazing vintage mahogany dreadnought and amazing new mahogany dreadnought stands this late 1990's Collings D1AV. It has the open-ended cavernous response you might find in a late 1930's D-18, but with a healthy dose of the forward, bold, and more articulated sound Collings is famous for. It's a tremendously loud guitar with endless headroom, but also responds fully and quickly to a softer attack. It's a mature sounding guitar, but not dark or mushy as some lightly built mahogany D's can be.

Not sure what a new one would run these days, but I'm pretty sure this is a great buy at $2950.00.

Adirondack red spruce top, mahogany back and sides, and sunburst top. Forward-shifted pre-war scalloped braces, tortoise celluloid binding and beveled edge pickguard, ebony bridge and fingerboard. Slotted diamond fingerboard inlays, pearl headstock logo, Waverly tuning machines, bone nut and through-cut saddle.

Standard soft V neck carve, 1-3/4” nut width, 25.5” scale, 2-5/16” string spread at the saddle. The feel is entirely 1930's – from the neck carve to the wide string spacing. It's heaven to play.

The guitar shows the dings, dents, and scratches of an instrument that's been used, and there is fine finish checking on the top likely due to some cold Canadian weather. Please see the video for some closeups under lighting that shows the checking. The checking is hard to see and pretty much invisible in certain light, and much more visible under bright halogens from above.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulti53P573Y&t=15s

No structural cracks or repairs or no modifications. Frets are nicely dressed and have tons of life. Comes with original case which is in really good shape, inside is green and bit faded. Please contact me for an in hand description, or if you would like to see some video samples.

Not many vintage Collings around with these specs, and this one really is special. Build before the cnc era. A new one is double the price and likely not as good, or as cool!

Here's a sample with some fingering picking, a bit of rhythm and then a quick bit of flat picking from my iphone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN66gnbbGM4

Though SN 3868 is listed as a 1997 guitar on the Collings website, it is recorded by Collings to have been completed on September 02, 1998 and sold from Mass Street Music.
close front.jpg
collings back.jpg
Attachments
collings headstock.png
Collings far front FW.png
close back collings.jpg

dubc79

Re: 1998 Collings D1AV (vintage) Sunburst - amazing!

Mon May 11, 2020 2:40 pm

Is this still available?

toneseeker

Re: 1998 Collings D1AV (vintage) Sunburst - amazing!

Mon May 11, 2020 2:51 pm

Hi, sorry, it's sold. I will update/remove. Thanks for asking.