FORUM INTRODUCTIONS

marklp

Re: FORUM INTRODUCTIONS

Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:45 am

Hi Everyone. My name is Mark. I'm from Massachusetts. I was on the previous forum but mostly a lurker. I have way more Collings guitars than my playing deserves, but they are such great guitars. Currently in the market for, most likely, an OM2H so will probably have some questions about that model. Great to see the forum up again. Missed the previous one.
2006 D2HA
2008 I35 Deluxe
2008 290
2015 I35LC

uponamouse

Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:15 pm

Hi, all, this is Tom N. I registered here as uponamouse, my handle on the old forum, before I saw the suggestion to use our real names. Doh! It gives me a great feeling to see so many familiar names and hear their "voices" again, and to see new folks. I've missed the forum since it went down, with all that knowledge and fun threads. Once, the Wayback Machine displayed all the threads, but none could be read. I only learned about this version when I searched yesterday for "Blazer and Henkes" (!).

I've played since my early teens, now for over four decades. I discovered Collings when I decided after 20 years of playing that I deserved a better acoustic than my Yamaha. Tried many guitars and brands, but a top-notch player friend of a player friend suggested I try Collings. I visited Gryphon, put my hands on a D2H, and it was all over—fit my hand beautifully, and the tone was what I wanted to hear! Thanks to the old forum, I later added an OM1A varnish, and both are glorious guitars with tone that keeps improving.

I have two teen daughters, one who is profoundly limited and the other who is a typical teen. Luckily, my (now ex-) wife and I imbued her with a love of music, and after 6 years of piano lessons and 3 years on clarinet, she's fallen in love with playing the (French) horn. My older teen also loves to hear music.

I've played electric all these years too, and played in a cover band for a handful of years in the oughts, and an original rock band during the teens ("The Ragged Dragoons"; the second CD, which I played on, finally was released in early 2019). Since then, I've been playing in an acoustic format, "Upside the Dirt," with a few fun gigs each year, a few YouTube videos, and a Spotify single this April. We haven't rehearsed since the virus situation began, and a gig scheduled later this summer is ours to play or not. In the meantime, I'm enjoying electrics, acoustics, and looking forward to reconnecting with this great community.

Many thanks to Frank and Eric for bringing this forum to life!

Cheers, Tom
Cheers, Tom

elambo

Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:01 pm

Welcome to our newest members!

formerfoodie

Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:18 am

Whoops! I didn't see the intro thread, so posted something in the main acoustic guitar forum.

Real name is Freddie. My handle on the old forum the same as the new forum: formerfoodie.

Collings guitars were a gateway guitar for me. The punch and clarity of my first Collings really set a new bar of what I should expect in a guitar. Though I have moved on from Collings acoustic guitars, I really enjoyed reading and interacting in the old forum so I'm very happy to learn that the forum is back! I still have a Collings ukulele and (finally) nabbed me a I35 Deluxe last year. The interactions I've had on the old forum have really influenced my stable. The crown jewel in my collection is a Circa guitar with an Old Standard Wood adi top that has been treated with Frank Sanns' Advanced Aging process. So it's great to see that connection with the new forum. Also, I managed to somehow possess sonoman's old Alien - a Blazer & Henkes masterpiece. Needless to say, the Collings forum has been a blessing to my happiness and a curse to my wallet! :D

gitapik

Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:30 pm

Greetings from Brooklyn, NY!

I retired from teaching in the NYC Dept of Ed (Special Ed) last January. I'd promised myself that I"d keep playing, writing, and gigging when I got my first "straight" job at age 30. Along with a pension. And here I am (and can't believe it in so many ways).

As a retirement gift (another thing I'd promised myself), I bought a Collings i35-LC.

It
is
STELLAR
:shock: !!!!

I'll be putting up a post about it, soon.

So, hello to all. Glad to be here. Love my Collings. Love to play music. Love to play the guitar!
Life in between the notes

squamish5

Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:56 pm

Hi all
My name is Charlie, I am a collingsaholic.... have owned many of their guitars and mandolins. I was a pretty frequent poster back in the day
I live in 108 mile ranch now, that’s in British Columbia

Slowlearner

Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:24 pm

Hi All

I’m Matthew. Very pleased to see this forum back in action. I learnt so much from the previous one - it was an education. I love my 2008 0002h which seems to get better and better the more I play it. Living in England Collings’ prices are eye-watering at the moment so feel very lucky to have mine. Who knows maybe another in future.

Nice to be back among you good people

ripsaw

Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:56 am

Sorry but no one on the Internet will ever know my real name - that is, the name my parents gave me. That's a freedom choice too, isn't it?

I've been on the 'Net since the 1980's and have names within names. That was what it was like then - cyberpunk ala William Gibson. One would never release 'real' information - too risky.

Born in 1952 in the Valley in LA.

Move to tree farm in Oregon in 1964. 15 years old during the Summer of Love. Ripe age for Hippy. I went 50's Beat for a long time but now I'm one of the last Pacific West Coast hippies from Oregon. My Freak Flag is flying high.

Played guitar extensively until I met my sweet wife when I was 31. She was a student at Reed Collage and into the first Macs. Steve Jobs went to Reed. I knew she was the one and too good for me but she was only 20 and easily fell for my bag of tricks. I decided to join her in Graphics and we've made a pretty good living from it. My music friends are all still poor or dead.

Got kidney cancer 2 years ago & lost one. Got bone marrow cancer last year with a fatal twist heart complication. Pretty rare condition and always fatal. In chemo for the next 6 months but nothing can change the shape of things to come. 2-4 years left if I'm lucky then a bad ending.

I'm self educated but try to spread things around. I dig the 1930's, 1950's, 1960's and 1990's.

Music all over the map. Right now Dark Ambient, ECM 'EuroJazz' from 1970's & 1980's. All 1950's jazz. King Tubby 'Downtown' heavy dub stylee with Roots Radics.

Fave guitarists Ralph Towner, Terje Rypdal, Joe Pass, Kenny Burell.

Piano, Paul Bley. Jan Gabarek, John Surman, Jimmy Giuffre horns. Steve Swallow. bass.

Best Dark Ambient - Abul Morgard.

I was here before but unfortunately quit in a huff. I would like to apologize to Elambo for leaving him in the lurch.

I came back to sell my 290 but I would like to continue with Collings as a 12-string player.

When I left, I said that the only reason to be here was if one had a guitar performance video blog and I didn't have one. I'm building up my guitar workstation and hope to have something worth posting here.

My problem then is already starting here, though - no respect for my low-tech vintage gear! If it's not a $10,000 Collings, you guys don't want to know about it.

That 1961 Gibson LPJ has a tone you would pee your pants for. When played through my 1960-61 Supro National Studio 10 (8" Jantzen) amp you'd start crying. It's the tone you're trying to get out of a $500 stomp box but never will. Unfinished mahogany resonates! I got that guitar laid on me because some Bozo wrecked it. Free. I've got a 3-knob tone bender that was assembled by hand by Jim Marshall on his kitchen table - not kidding. Free to me from a friend.

My strat is stuffed with pre-1983 pure copper pennies, hammered in until it could take no more. It sustains for frickin' ever. I've got one of the first Fender Jags made, Sept. of 1963. I paid $175 for it because some other Bozo wrecked it. That was my main axe for 25 years. Played through a Magnatone M15 amp with 5 speakers. Unworldly sound.

I've been in the same procedural-landscape creating forum for 25 years. I've made some real friends from all over the world. If you want to create a lasting community, you have to show an active interest in what other musicians are doing.

Too many lurkers here! Stop lurking and start playing and post what you play.

One of my landscapes:
land.jpg

Red Oak

Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:41 pm

Welcome aboard! Enjoy your time here!!!

ripsaw

Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:02 am

8-) Thank you! It would be nice at this point to find a sanctuary for a year or two, to post my music among knowledgeable musicians.