FORUM INTRODUCTIONS

elkabong

Re: FORUM INTRODUCTIONS

Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:06 pm

Hi all;

I guess I'm a bit late to the party. I'm Rudy. My handle here is 'elkabong'. Why did I pick that? Simple. He's a hilarious cartoon character of a horse that swings guitars into bad guys heads to "KABONG!!!!!!!" them. What could be better than that???............LOL

I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada & have been a fan of Collings guitars for I dunno(?) about 10 years now. I saw my first Collings way back then, (a stock D2H) at a repairmens' shop & was blown away by how much better it looked in terms of 'fit & finish' compared to all the Martins & Gibsons that are so much more prevalent around these parts! & the sound! So clear & crystalline!!! That D2H impressed me so much that I started talking all my buddies who were looking to buy a 'serious' acoustic guitar, to look at Collings guitars. Well a few of them took my advice & did just that. I think back then, 3 or 4 of my friends purchased Collings guitars....& there I was..."Collings-Less".... Well, that didn't look good! So I ordered my very first Collings; a German topped OM3G, from Eddies Guitars in St. Louis. I haven't looked back since then having owned just over a dozen Collings acoustic guitars at this point!
Of course, I have parted with a few over the years as I have been 'honing in' on what type of Collings best suits my playing style. As of late, it's been the 000's. I really prefer the wider nut width for my BIG fingers, & the elongated body style has ample bass response, yet beautiful, lyrical trebles. Besides my "Custom" OM2GSB & DS1-HSB; I still have 3 Collings 000's at the moment & am already eyeing another. (Shhhh....my wife doesn't know!..)

Anyways, I'm so glad we're all showing up back here at the "New Collings Forum". Looking forward to getting reacquainted' with the old gang!
Cheers;
Rudy

DavesCollings

Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:39 pm

Hello folks,

I am new to the forum because I have finally acquired a Collings guitar, and thus thought that I should join. I did follow the previous Collings forum occasionally (not as a member), although I am also a Martin Guitar owner and continue to follow their forum (UMGF) too. I am excited to be part of the Collings forum and of course I am even more excited to have a very nice Collings guitar.

I recently purchased the Collings OM1ACut Pete Huttlinger signature edition (new version). I have been a fan of the OM1 for many years--have tried it out in many instrument stores and via others who had one for a long time--and I am happy to be able to get one myself. I chose this model because I knew Pete (and Erin) for about 10 years before he passed away, so it is a tribute to him of course but it also is a wonderful guitar. It is also my first Adirondack top guitar, so I am enjoying that aspect too. Naturally, the first tune I played on it was Darcy's guitar, which is a song that I have played in the past with Pete. I am very happy to now have a Collings sound among my several guitars (including Martin OM-18 and OM-35); I play finger style generally so the OM size and fingerboard is perfect.

As for me, I live and work in the Minneapolis area, and enjoy "trying" to play guitar in my free time. I learned some chords and such as a teenager and didn't play again until about 15 years ago as a middle age adult. I am fortunate to have been able to learn most recently from a number of guitar camps and workshops with well known players as well as with a local and also capable/well known teacher. As for many of us, I am sure, I am getting there on guitar...

Anyway, I am pleased to be here, and look forward to more interactions on the forum. Thanks for having me.

David T.

elambo

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:06 pm

Welcome, David, and congrats on the guitar!

Bronco

Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:22 pm

Thanks for getting this forum up and running! It was always my favorite forum, by far, in the past and I’m looking forward to having a place to talk “all things Collings” again.

Chris (formerly ”cdreid” on the old forum)

elambo

Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:59 am

Welcome back, Chris!

dave42

Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:27 pm

Hi!! dave42 here. How did I miss this new forum!? Good to see you all again.

motskoman

Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:54 pm

motskoman wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:47 pm Hi, All

I'm Bill Motsko, and I'm an admitted acoustic guitar nerd. I've been a Registered Piano Technician for 40 years. I live in Columbia, MD and am 69 years of age. Although I have two Santa Cruz and a Martin, I'm a big fan of Collings guitars. My preference is for the Orchestra Model.

AllThumbsBruce

Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:55 am

AllThumbsBruce here. A Collings (D2HG) player since 2009. I'm a materials science professor with a physics background. I have been playing guitar a lot longer than you would guess by listening to me play. I still remember the warm welcome I received from Elambo and Kerry when I joined the old forum right after I got my D2HG. I might buy a Collings 000 someday.

nostromo

Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:43 pm

Aloha everyone,

My name is Jeff Dooley, just noodling around and found this forum. Glad to be here. I've been a Collings addict since my first OM2H in 1993. That guitar is still getting better and in constant use. Somewhere along the line I put a Trance Audio Amulet pickup in it and it's my play-out guitar when I want to go through my pedal board.

Since then I've added five other OM or 000 style Collings, and they are all monsters in their own way.

Most of the year I live in Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii, and play a lot of slack-key on my OM2HG that lives there.

Have run into a number of Collings players IRL and online and love the community that has grown around what Bill created. Glad to be here.

Kevin

Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:59 pm

Hi all

Greetings from the UK. I didn't know this forum was up and running, I chanced upon it from googling for some info about Collings guitars; I knew there had been snags with the old forum, here's to making this one a success.

Just one Collings for me: an OM2H. I have had a couple of Martins which were great, in fact one of them (an OM-28) was more than great as it just played so well with a very low action, good sound and had very nicely grained wood. I had it a few years and always thought that it would be staying with me. I remember when I was looking and trying various guitars, before settling on the 28, there were one or two Collings around but I didn't know much about them or really try them and I think I felt a bit more comfortable going for a Martin. Re-ŕeading this last bit, it may seem like I'm damning the Martin with faint praise - not at all, it was an excellent guitar, I think at the time I just wasn't confident or knowledgeable enough to widen my options, maybe I felt safe with a Martin.

Anyway, fast-forward a few years and I'd seen quite a few of Silly Moustache's posts and videos and his enthusiasm for Collings made me look at them in detail. The dilemma was that I had a really good guitar that I liked, played well and felt right in my hands, so should I change it for a similar Collings model or keep it and get a different style Collings to give me another choice of guitar to play? The latter option would actually rule out a Collings: the OM-28 would almost-certainly remain my main player so I couldn't justify having a Collings as a second guitar that didn't get as much use. Another thing that SM had me thinking about was his passion for 12-fret slotheads. I must admit, I'd always found them visually attractive but didn't know much about them.

Still intrigued by 12-fretters, I did quite a lot of research and ended up buying an Eastman 0 mahogany. What value-for-money! Solid wood, ebony fretboard and bridge, top-quality fit and finish, good sound - plus a proper case. This model has all the old-time vibe as well with the slotted headstock, sunburst top, pyramid bridge, 1 13/16" bone nut. Very pleased with it but...

My Collings curiosity still needed to be tempered so, to cut a long story short, I ended up trading the Martin for the Collings' equivalent so, here I am with an OM2H(used) and an Eastman E10P(new). What do I think of the Collings (especially compared to the Martin)? Different sound for a start: a bit deeper, less bright but not better or worse, just different, it's very difficult to describe sounds. Build quality: again, hard to say as there was nothing wrong with the Martin - I think my OM-28 was 'a good one' - but the Collings does seem to have a certain indefinable extra quality and solidity to it. Overall, there is not a huge amount in it for me but that is just comparing 2 particular guitars. One feature that I do think is an advantage is the bolt-on neck, although I don't expect to be needing this for several years yet.The Martin was easier to play but I attribute that to familiarity and it being set up very well - I'm sure the strings could be a touch lower at the nut on the Collings but I'm going to leave it a while before doing anything.

Anyway, that's my Collings intro and history (I hold Silly Moustache entirely responsible for my current situation); I'm looking forward to reading and virtual-chatting with you all about Collings, guitars in general or just any old guff, really.

Kevin