Wireless Guitar Cable

Frank Sanns

Wireless Guitar Cable

Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:57 am

I think the title is an oxymoron but I am curious what the consensus is with these units. It seems like a great idea to eliminate cables going everywhere but how do they work? Any suggestions on a good system?

My concerns are for latency, frequency response, and dynamic range. I was thinking of using one for the guitar to the effects peddle and another from the effects peddle to the amp. Some of the latencies that I have seen can be up in the 30 ms range. Doubling that with two starts to get a little behind the beat.

I do some Radio Control aircraft and latency in the controls or the POV video can be really a problem. Curious what experience you all have with the wireless systems.

Mwyates

Re: Wireless Guitar Cable

Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:37 pm

I’ve been using a Line 6 Relay G50 wireless for a couple of years. I wouldn’t want to go back to a cable. Transmitter is in a pouch on my strap and the receiver is on a pedal board at my feet with my in ear wireless transmitter, direct box, and a couple of other things.

Never had any issues, but I’m always within 30 feet of my board.

Frank Sanns

Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:17 pm

That looks like a really nice unit. I am a big fan of Line 6 gear so I will take a look at it. Thanks for the suggestion.

55tele

Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:20 am

I also have the G50 on a pedalboard. Great performance! Also you can have multiple transmitters and with a press of a foot switch on the unit, switch from acoustic to electric in a gig situation....the acoustic guitar is connected to the DI out going to the PA and your electric connects out to your electric guitar amp....

Works great very satisfied.....

Frank Sanns

Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:00 am

Thank you all for your input.

There was much to consider but I ended up purchasing a lower cost setup ($149).

It was more about the compact size. I am not a performer so I am never far from my amp/processors so I opted for the compact variant. It has low latency and good range in the house. The internal battery life is really good and it never drops the signal.

With the setup that I am using, it is doing the job so I would actually recommend this unit for those looking for a good functional home setup that is ultra compact.
Attachments
XVivePair.jpg

elambo

Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:03 pm

Frank -- do they sound the same as your typical cable?

Frank Sanns

Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:00 pm

They are close but not quite identical to a good 6 foot cable.

The average person may or may not hear a difference. It is subtle but it is there. A trained ear will hear just a little bit of compression of both the dynamics and frequency. A little less presence. It is small but it is there. Nothing that a little processing cannot bring right back.

I think the majority of the people would be very happy with this unit. It works for me because I am going through the OX and I can use it to bring some of that back.

Like I said, the price is right and it is really small and handy. For general playing it is dandy. For critical studio, it is tough to beat a hardwire.

elambo

Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:05 am

I may have to give it a try. I really like the idea of the (highly) shortened cable length, but worry about the added A/D and D/A and the subsequent compressed sound you mentioned.