Sitaring Issue with my D-1

6l6

Sitaring Issue with my D-1

Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:35 am

In 1999 I bought a new Collings D-1 and I've loved every minute of playing it.

However...

For some reason it's developed a "sitar" sound on the Second ("B") string. I have used D'Addario PB strings in Light gauge since the day it was new and I love the sound they produce.

I've tried reseating the second string and replacing it several times, but the sitar effect keeps rearing its ugly head.

Any ideas I should try?

Thanks,

Bill

dadgad6strings

Re: Sitaring Issue with my D-1

Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:05 am

It's the action.
Have you been keeping it humidified? This time of year, the relief can change a bit and/or the top sinks and those changes can be enough to lower the strings as to where they are touching the frets just a smidge, hence the sitar sound!

First I would say make sure that it's properly humidified, then, check the relief and the action at the 12th fret. If it just needs to be re-hydrated, that could take care of the problem.

If it has been humidified, then making a minor relief adjustment would probably be all you need. If in the event you're not sure and or are not comfortable making adjustments yourself, take it to a qualified tech.

It does sound to me to be the humidity levels and your guitar is just experiencing the normal changes that come with the seasonal changes.

dadgad6strings

Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:08 am

Having said all that in the previous post, let me add that if it's not related to the humidy there is always the possibility that a fret is loose or something and fret level is needed. I don't think that's the case though because it sounds like it's been playing fine up to the point that you started experiencing the Ravi Shankar Sitar sound.

6l6

Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:43 am

Thanks for your help!

Bill

Derek

Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:31 am

Sitar on open string and most frets then take a look at the saddle top where the string sits for a bit of a groove developing.

ahumphrey79

Wed May 06, 2020 2:14 pm

I agree with checking the saddle for a groove or maybe the string is slightly binding at the nut. My dad has a Taylor 914 and he had a similar problem. Turned out he needed to have the neck re-shimmed. I would say it is time for a luthier to give it a look over. I've also seen this problem on a 2016 J 45 vintage and it was not seated in the nut properly.