Tell me about your results with side repairs?

elambo

Tell me about your results with side repairs?

Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:14 pm

I have a nickel-size hole in the side of one of my acoustics (another guitar fell onto it). My repair guy, who has done amazing work for me in the past, is on the case, and confident that his work will hide the damage well. His last repair was a serious crack, and indeed he performed a miracle and there is absolutely no sign of the damage, but this is a hole, not a crack. 90% of the wood is still in our possession since it was pushed into the guitar when it was hit, but I know that these are tougher repairs. The guitar is Mahogany, fwiw. Standard Nitro finish -- nothing fancy.

Those of you who've had holes on the side repaired, how did it turn out? Is the damage still easily visible, or were they able to hide it?

I'm going forward with the repair in any case -- just curious to know what to expect.

Frank Sanns

Re: Tell me about your results with side repairs?

Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:05 am

Any updates on your repairs? I have seen some really fantastic work where it is tough to see the repairs even when you are looking for them.

elambo

Re: Tell me about your results with side repairs?

Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:31 pm

The same repair guy as last time again did an excellent job. It's not invisible -- looks a bit like a knot -- but considering how it was missing a section of the wood they met, and exceeded, my expectations.