Tuner Change

West R Lee

Tuner Change

Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:27 am

Hello Collings nuts,

First post here, though I've been lurking for a while.....just learning.

I was curious as to whether any of you have ever changed the Waverly open back tuners on any of your Collings guitars? I've replaced tuners a few times on other guitars, but they were always Grover tuners and have a washer, or bushing under the nut on the face side of the head stock. It's a piece of cake with other tuners, which have a washer under the hold down nut. With the Waverly tuners on both my Collings guitars, there is no washer on the front side of the head stock, and the nut actually contacts the finish. I'm wanting to remove the Waverly nickel tuners (nothing wrong with them) and replace them with like Waverly engraved gold tuners, but sure don't want to marr, scuff or gouge the finish on either side of the headstock. Obviously it can be done.....Collings did it.

I was just wondering if anyone had attempted this, and if they can tell me how to keep from scarring this beautiful guitar in the process?

West R Lee

Re: Tuner Change

Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:56 am

Nevermind. I think I've just figured it out. What I'm calling a "nut" is not actually a nut, it is the hex head top of a pressed in bushing. And I suppose they'd also have to be pressed out? Hmmmmm, I wonder how gold Waverlys would look with silver bushings?

Hokiebob

Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:04 pm

The plating on the tuners on my Collings was flaking off. Stew Mac sent me a new set in exchange at no charge. Fortunately they were the same color so I left the bushings from the old set in place.
Without specific tools and experience it is going to be hard to change the bushings and not mar the finish on the headstock. Not saying it can't be done but not for the faint of heart.
Bob

West R Lee

Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:05 pm

Looks like it can be done, but very carefully.

JohnFrink

Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:16 pm

West R Lee wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:56 am Nevermind. I think I've just figured it out. What I'm calling a "nut" is not actually a nut, it is the hex head top of a pressed in bushing. And I suppose they'd also have to be pressed out?
Correct. And if the top edge of the hole wasn't chamfered before the original bushing was pressed in, trying to remove it can break out chips of peghead overlay and finish and leave an ugly scar (don't ask me how I know this). Stew-Mac sells a "Tuner Bushing Press" that does a great job of safely installing and removing pressed-in tuner bushings; it still must be used with care, but in my experience it works very well. I haven't changed bushings on a Collings yet, so I don't know if the peghead holes are chamfered or not; Collings might be able to tell you. In any case, if you don't have experience with this relatively simple but slightly risky job, I'd recommend taking it to a luthier.
Bourgeois OM CB HS, Collings OM1T, OM1Mh, OM3Mh, RainSong CH-OM-N2, Santa Cruz OM

West R Lee

Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:14 am

Thanks John, and yes sir, I'm taking all of those things into account. I'm confident I can get them out, just not confident I can do it without a lacquer chip. We may see what a Collings looks like with engraved gold tuners and nickel bushings. :D

West

West R Lee

Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:31 pm

I've also been told that the bushings are glued in, and to remove them, you have to heat them to soften the glue. I'm beginning to think she'll look just fine with silver bushings. : )

West

armdog

Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:32 am

The Waverlys on my 2008 CJ got crunchy. I called StewMac and they sent me a new set under the lifetime warranty, turned out great and used the orig bushings, sent StewMac the bad set. If they work well I don't fret too much about appearance. My favorites are #1 Schertler and #2 Schaller GrandTunes. best regards

Greg Y

Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:53 pm

West, Waverly bushings on Collings guitar are glued in place. If you try to just tap them out from the back, you'll damage the headstock overlay. I've changed at least 3 or 4 sets on Collings. I remove the tuners and heat a large nail. I hold it in the hole of the bushing w vicegrips keeping it in contact with the inside of the bushing for a minute or two. Then i push the bushing out from the back, with an appropriately small flat tool. It's not that hard as there's only a drop of glue on each bushing.