Best Pickup/Mic

law

Best Pickup/Mic

Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:51 pm

Hey guys glad to see a forum back up & running. I have a new CJ 35sb that should literally be in my hands from the factory any day now...I'm looking for suggestions on the best pickup/mic solution....

To give a backdrop to my playing application:

I generally play through a small pedal board that starts with a volume pedal & finishes with a Baggs Session Acoustic DI..into a Fishman Loudbox Performer...to the PA system..... in a church worship team setting. In addition I also play small venues/coffeehouse type deals with the same setup through a Bose S1......

**disclosure***
My Martin HD 28 has a Fishman Matrix(i think)from way back...I REALLY like it.

My Taylor 914ce has the ES2 system....I REALLY DON'T like it ( but love it unplugged)

I've hear mixed results on the K&K mini.....generally rave reviews on the Trance Amulet (tho' not sure that's practical with my current setup).....

TBH.... what I'm generally looking for in amplified sound is the MOST EXACT replication of what the actual unplugged guitar sounds like.

Thanks for all input in advance!

WeaserP

Re: Best Pickup/Mic

Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:18 pm

I haven't used either firsthand but I hear really great things about the Baggs Anthem or Lyric. I might suggest checking those out.

Then let us know what you think.

markT

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:04 am

It's not on their website, but I heard from Mark A. at Collings the Amulet is their preferred pickup nowadays. He said they have installed some there at the factory with great results. ( Probably for artist...not for you and I ) Hearing that, I ordered one for my SJ cutaway. I've had it a couple of months and have not installed it.
I know that does you, me or anyone any good yet.

I have tried the K&K Pure Mini and had mixed results, as you hear. I love the concept and simplicity though.

I have a Baggs Anthem that came in my Lowden and it sounds fantastic.

law

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:38 pm

Definitely sounds like a good direction to go. I just wonder if it fits OK on a CJ with the Cutthrough saddle?

markT

Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:44 pm

law wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:38 pm Definitely sounds like a good direction to go. I just wonder if it fits OK on a CJ with the Cutthrough saddle?
If you’re speaking of the Amulet, it’s two transducers attach to the bridge plate as does the K&K. No need to worry about under the saddle. I actually know of no under saddle pickup that would work under a cut-thru saddle easily.

motskoman

Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:13 pm

There's been a lot of buzz about the ToneDexter. The videos on its website are very impressive. Unless one is playing at high volume, it seems to be the best sounding system available. If one is on a budget, a K&K mini with a 1 meg ohm DI/Preamp is a good alternative.

pjkesq

Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:20 pm

law wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:51 pm Hey guys glad to see a forum back up & running. I have a new CJ 35sb that should literally be in my hands from the factory any day now...I'm looking for suggestions on the best pickup/mic solution....

To give a backdrop to my playing application:

I generally play through a small pedal board that starts with a volume pedal & finishes with a Baggs Session Acoustic DI..into a Fishman Loudbox Performer...to the PA system..... in a church worship team setting. In addition I also play small venues/coffeehouse type deals with the same setup through a Bose S1......

**disclosure***
My Martin HD 28 has a Fishman Matrix(i think)from way back...I REALLY like it.

My Taylor 914ce has the ES2 system....I REALLY DON'T like it ( but love it unplugged)

I've hear mixed results on the K&K mini.....generally rave reviews on the Trance Amulet (tho' not sure that's practical with my current setup).....

TBH.... what I'm generally looking for in amplified sound is the MOST EXACT replication of what the actual unplugged guitar sounds like.

Thanks for all input in advance!
My Collings D2HSB and Waterloo JK do not have a pickup. My Martin M30 has a Fishman Matrix infinity and I love it. Will have my custom Collings OM2 SS VN in a few weeks (fingers crossed) and I am putting a Fishman Matrix Infinity in that one.