Ken Burns "Country Music" on PBS

Hokiebob

Ken Burns "Country Music" on PBS

Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:15 am

Have any of you been following the documentary on the history of Country Music on PBS. I've been fascinated all week.

The music has been wonderful. The stories of the artists' lives, loves, trials and successes are great to think about. The photos in the early
episodes are captivating and along with the videos of later happenings show the fabric of life in America and how that shaped Country Music into today's sound.
I've been amazed at how many of the living artists that have been interviewed for the show my wife and I have seen and in many cases met.

My favorite name drop is Bill Monroe. In the show they credit him as the innovator of what we today call Blue Grass. In the early 70's my wife and I lived in Galax, Va. We were part of the JCs. We booked Bill
and his band to play at Galax High School. After the show they were hungry. We called a friend who owned a restaurant and convinced him not to close. The bus followed us to the place and we sat around eating, drinking bourbon
and talking about half the night. Little did I know just how influential he had been.

I always knew that Country Music was a BIG TENT, accommodating many, many styles of music but after watching this I appreciate that even more. I get tickled at folks who self-righteously say
"That's not really Country Music." when they hear something new or different. Reminds me of my grandparents watching Lawrence Welk and denouncing The Beatles and the Stones as
"That's not really music."

I also love the etymology of the name Country Music. From String Music, to Hillbilly Music, to Country and Western to just Country Music.

I can't wait to see the last few episodes.
Bob

elambo

Re: Ken Burns "Country Music" on PBS

Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:00 pm

I caught a bit last night. Fascinating! I had to pause for some family stuff but couldn't wait to get back to it. I'm equally excited to see more. Ken Burns scores again.

Flakyfoont

Re: Ken Burns "Country Music" on PBS

Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:11 pm

Another great Ken Burns production! Love the format and excited to see more of my honky tonks heroes tonight!