WL-12 Mahogony - Is action higher on 12 fret?

Tenzin

WL-12 Mahogony - Is action higher on 12 fret?

Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:44 pm

I had a little 4 hour binge on my 12 fret Waterloo and realized that compared with my other brand, 14 fret guitars, the action seemed to be a bit higher. (I could actually measure it, but that would make things too easy.) Since the tension is less, in general, on a 12-fret guitar would the action be higher so as not to buzz? I was trying to convince myself to just buy another 14 fret Waterloo to do a proper comparison, but I guess the fear of my wife got the better of me.

Thanks
--
Whatever it is you're seeking won't come in the form you're expecting.

monkeybanana

Re: WL-12 Mahogony - Is action higher on 12 fret?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:46 pm

Do you have someone nearby who could do a proper setup on the guitar? Collings guitars come with medium low action and can go down a bit if you prefer the lowest action.

Tenzin

Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:08 pm

I'd only have it changed if I didn't love the sound. I was able to play it a at a few jams for four 45-minutes sets. I was just wondering in my head. Right now, I wouldn't risk changing anything. I've had the guitar a couple of months only and the guitar is still vibrating (from inside the case) a day later. I'm actually only partly joking. I've never felt a guitar vibrate so much from even gentle strumming.

It's my first 12-fret and my first Waterloo. Just writing about playing it makes me smile. It's the smallest guitar I have (I don't count the Martin travel guitar...that was on a whim when I was traveling for work twice a month into tiny towns) and there is no doubt in my mind it's louder than my 35 year old jumbo. It is joy.
--

monkeybanana

Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:17 pm

How about this. Keep the original saddle but make a second once to accommodate a lower action. The saddle is not glued down. The nut slots might need attention as well but are of course not drop in.

Cameleye

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:27 pm

The action on the brand new WL-12 Mh I recently took in trade and have up for sale measures 3/32" from the top of the 12th fret to the bottom of the low E string and under the high e it is 2/32".
I've started to play this guitar a little and am coming around to how amazing it sounds.
Also IMO lowering the saddle a bit on yours won't really affect the tone.

Tenzin

Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:56 pm

I may purchase another saddle if I really get bored. I have all the stew-mac tools to measure it, it just hasn't really been a problem. I've been enjoying finding my 'right' strings for it. (I'm really enjoying nickle strings on it for the time being.)
--