T-Bar or Truss Rod?

electramone

Re: T-Bar or Truss Rod?

Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:18 am

Great summary. Thanks for all the info. I do love my T-Bar 14.

Silly Moustache

Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:23 pm

One of the aspects that attracted me to my WL-12 was the adjustable truss rod.
Also, I prefer 12 fretters usually due to the wider fretboard but the WL-12 is spec'd with 1 & 3/4" it is actually a tad thinner, and so there are sone things that don't work as well on it as on my DS and 000 Collingses.

A few weeks after I bought it I was diagnosed and then treated for throat cancer, so it hung on the wall of my home office and listened to talk radio whenever I was strong enough to sit at my desk, and when I got strong enough to take it down again about 18 months later I was quite shocked at how it had opened up. I've had to "twiddle" the truss rod slightly in the summer - but it's good to have the facility.

StephenT

Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:33 pm

FreeBlues, it sounds like we've met via our guitars (literally). I expect there's a lot of difference between the sound of the t-bar vs. truss rod. Hope you enjoy the WL-14xtr in good health!

I have a small custom built parlor guitar w/ ladder bracing and a t-bar, was great for 7 years and then developed a bow. Thankfully the builder went to the amazing trouble of installing a truss rod. And I swear it sounded better when I got it back, contrary to common wisdom.

I play with no neck relief so an adjustable truss rod is necessary for me and that's the determining factor for me in the t-bar vs. truss rod world.

Easyrom

Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:25 pm

Thanks for your sharing, FreeBlues.
You didn't mention the type of bracing you have on your new WL 14 (or maybe I missed it?). Are you sure it is the same X bracing than you first big neck guitar? If not, that could explain the différence in sound and volume you perceive.

It took time when I ordered my WL14 2 years ago for me to decide between T bar and truss rod, X vs L bracing and also big vs slimer neck. I went with the X bracing, truss rod and big neck, despite my quite small hands. I never had a chance to try another WL14 than mine, so I still can't be 100% sure, but I've never had a guitar which inspires me more than this Waterloo.