FORUM INTRODUCTIONS

Zach

FORUM INTRODUCTIONS

Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:12 pm

Hey all! I figured since this is the new forum for Collings we should start the intro that was stickied at the top of the original site. I'll kick it off.

I'm Zach. I currently reside in Brooklyn. I lived the first 20 years of my life in a small town just north of Nashville. Since then my life has changed a ton. I moved to Montana to plant a church, got married, finished school in Arizona (Go Sun Devils!), fell away from my beliefs, moved back to Montana to be close to her family, then took a travel position for work moving to Pennsylvania, Texas, and ending up in NYC somehow. Jump ahead not too far and I'm divorced now at the ripe old age of 30 we just couldn't reconcile our differences of beliefs. And as Louis CK says...
"Someday, one of your friends is gonna get divorced, it's gonna happen, and they're gonna tell you. Don't go, 'ohhhh I'm sorry.' That's a stupid thing to say. First of all you're making 'em feel bad for being really happy, which isn't fair. And second of all: divorce is always good news. I know that sounds weird, but it's true, because no good marriage has ever ended in divorce. It's really that simple."
I've learned a lot in my time so far and always love learning more. I currently design building components for a construction company based in North Carolina. Think Sears catalog homes but completely custom. I have been dating someone for awhile now. We sing and play music together. So much so that a band formed and we are playing gigs all around the NYC area and wanting to branch into the New England states. I have a semi-better relationship with my family. We talk now on occasion which is great. I am trying to eat better and if I'm not playing music you can find me on my bicycle. In the past year I am down almost 60lbs. My technique has been portion control and simply burning more calories then I take in. On the Collings front...so far I have been lucky enough to own two Collings instruments. I own a CW Indian ASB serial #23925. I got it straight from the factory. I also have the pleasure of owning a Collings WL-K Custom serial #1000. I'm told this is the first Southwest model that Collings made and the one used for the NAMM show that year. Most every photo you see online promoting the Southwest Model is most likely my guitar.

Aside from guitar I also play banjo, mandolin, ukulele, and upright bass

That's a good chunk of my life condensed into a few lines of text...many of you now know more about me then most of my family...so with that...tell me about you!

pjkesq

Re: FORUM INTRODUCTIONS

Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:59 pm

What a nice idea. I am Paul. Born and bred in brooklyn. In 1975, I got turned on to Jorma Kaukonen's playing. In 1976 at the age of 16, I picked up the guitar and have never looked back. I an attorney who started out as a criminal prosecutor in the Bronx County DA's office. Spent my last two years there as a domestic violence and sex crimes prosecutor. A very emotional and draining job to say the least. I am a partner now at a large national law firm of 800 attorneys. I am a civil litigator/trial attorney.

Been married to the same lady for 27 years and have 4 great kids ages 25, 23, 21 and 13.

I have owned many acoustics over the years. In 2000, after a disaster with a gibson acoustic, I traded that in and bought a CollingsD2hSB from Stan Jay, (may he rest in peace) at Mandolin Brothers. I absolutely fell in love with Collings guitars. I also own a Waterloo JK and have a custom collings OM2H SS VN on order which I hope to receive in December. I am primarily a fingerstyle guitarist but flatpick as well. I love the music of Neil Young, James Taylor, The Beatles, Simon and Garfunkle etc. I play a lot of Jorma Kaukonen/ Hot Tuna songs. I also play a bunch of fingerstyle tunes of Rev. Gary Davis, Blind Blake, Mississippi John Hurt et al.

I am absolutely thrilled that this Forum is back up and running. I want to thank those who have brought it back to life.

catndahats

Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:44 pm

Howdy! I'm Nate from the Texas Hill Country....just an old picker and long time reader from the old forum.
While I did not post a lot on the old forum, it was daily required reading and I am glad to see the Collings Forum resurrected in a new form.
Been playing off and on for about 40 years, have owned several Collings acoustics and currently have an OM1 and a D2H.
After trying many others, I found my sound---it is the Collings sound for this guy.
Thanks for hosting us here!

Larry McClain

Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:11 pm

I'm Larry. I was "Larpy" on the old Collings Forum and still am on AGF. I'm a fan of Collings acoustics. I play electric as well but am content to stick with Fender, which have held me in good stead since I bought my first Tele in 1986.

Glad to see the new forum up and running.

kerrykrishna

Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:34 pm

Larry, Could you please do the Forum a favour, and start a thread over on AGF and put a link up to the new site? There were a bunch of threads asking what wasting on.

Coco

Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:39 pm

Hi... I'm still Coco, same name as our last forum. Glad to be back here. I'm a east-coaster and still a big fan of Collings guitars. I'm contemplating another build... this is such a disease! Lol... :D

Larry McClain

Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:22 pm

kerrykrishna wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:34 pm Larry, Could you please do the Forum a favour, and start a thread over on AGF and put a link up to the new site? There were a bunch of threads asking what wasting on.
I just tried starting a new thread, but after posting it it disappeared. I think AGF has a policy that prohibits the mention of other forums, so that might be why. I don't remember seeing threads about the disappearance of the Collings forum on AGF. The Gear Page yes. But I'm not a member there.

armdog

Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:51 pm

Thanks to Frank and Eric for pulling this together.. you guys made some good decisions moving through a difficult situation.

armdog (aka bert on a couple other forums). In 2011, I started as 'armdog' on the old forum, and for no other reason, it just feels right. I've been playing Collings guitars for 10yrs and know very well the 30-40min drive down to Maple St Guitars in Lanta.

I've previously had a D2H, D2HG & D1A... currently own my favorite, a CJmhA. Since I will never join facebook, good to have a real live Collings discussion group again.

dog

elambo

Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:07 pm

Larry McClain wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:22 pm
kerrykrishna wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:34 pm Larry, Could you please do the Forum a favour, and start a thread over on AGF and put a link up to the new site? There were a bunch of threads asking what wasting on.
I just tried starting a new thread, but after posting it it disappeared. I think AGF has a policy that prohibits the mention of other forums, so that might be why. I don't remember seeing threads about the disappearance of the Collings forum on AGF. The Gear Page yes. But I'm not a member there.
I posted something at AGF as well -- it's goooone. Deleted. I've moderated about 5 forums and have never been presented with a policy where other sites cannot be mentioned. I honestly don't see why it should be competitive. The more the community is informed and connected the better. My $.02

I'm a member at The Gear Page -- I'll drop a post over there.

Haasome

Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:42 am

Hi again! Glad to see the Forum up and running. The look is different, but the good vibe is back.
Paul