Collings 01

djcarolino

Collings 01

Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:27 am

Just received a used 2017 Collings 01 that has blown me away as far as tone, playability and overall comfort. Only issue is that there’s a center seam separation/hairline crack from the bridge to the binding. There’s also some slight separating in the center seam between the sound hole and bridge with no split in the finish.

I’m torn because I truly want to keep this guitar as I was able to snag this guitar just under 3000, when they run 4000-5000 new. Ive placed a d addario 2 way humidifier in the sound hole and my music space is at 50%RH. Should I look into getting it repaired and for those who have experience, how stable is the instrument and noticeable is the crack after repair? Any input is much appreciated.

Scotsmac

Re: Collings 01

Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:58 am

Hi
I also have an O1, great little guitars. Looking at your pics personally I would consider two courses of action. First, and probably the favourite, return the guitar, what was the description of the guitar ?, did it mention the defects/condition. Second option keep guitar get it repaired, cost being met by seller.
Good luck with the outcome.
Malc.

pjkesq

Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:30 pm

How long after you got the guitar did the crack appear? Was it there as soon as you took the guitar out. In my opinion, if the crack was not mentioned by the seller, I would return it. Or as suggested, I would ask the seller to pay for the repair!

Good luck

djcarolino

Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:22 pm

pjkesq wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:30 pm How long after you got the guitar did the crack appear? Was it there as soon as you took the guitar out. In my opinion, if the crack was not mentioned by the seller, I would return it. Or as suggested, I would ask the seller to pay for the repair!

Good luck
I bought it used off of guitarcenter.com in which the description just said "excellent condition" with no mention of the crack. I really love the tone and playability, and I'm tempted to keep it and do the repairs which would cost me about $300 with an experienced luthier. Highly doubt GC would cover those costs. But also feeling a little iffy about a 2017 guitar having a invasive repair with potential problems in the future. I'm torn!

Greg Y

Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:37 pm

Collings is very selective with its wood choice and pre-build preparation. Speaking only of the guitar, as much as we may be shocked by cracks, they can be repaired with no appreciable after effects. Cracks like this are caused by lack of proper humidification. I've used this example before, but Charles Sawtelle's iconic '37 D28 had 100" of top cracks & to this day still sounds like a million $. Once repaired there are no concerns about future stability. Given that you like the sound & feel of the guitar, I hope you can work something out....
Last edited by Greg Y on Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Haasome

Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:10 pm

Greg Y wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:37 pm Collings is very selective with its wood choice and pre-build preparation. Speaking only of the guitar, as much as we may be shocked by cracks, they can be repaired with no appreciable after effects. Cracks like this are caused by lack of proper humidification. I've used this example before, but Charles Sawtelle's iconic '37 D28 had 100" of top cracks & to this day still sounds like a million $. Once repaired there are no concerns about future stability. Given that you like the sound & feel of the guitar, I hope you can work something out....
I’m not arguing with this because I’ve heard guitars with top repairs that sound terrific. However, I wonder why luthiers are obsessed with top wood density, thickness, flexibility and movement — only to glue a restrictive bracing element right in the middle of a tonal diaphragm. There seems to be a break in logic that I’ve not seen addressed in discussions about bracing cracks in guitar tops.
Paul

Greg Y

Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:58 pm

Paul, The diamond shaped cleats, used to close cracks, when properly done are tiny. I've had guitars crack & had them repaired with no noticeable sound difference. That's my non-scientific evaluation. Attached is a photo of a very fine sounding '37 D18 that I sat opposite of for a week in Flagstaff recently in the hands of Winfield winner Peter McLaughlin.
IMG_8979.jpg
IMG_8979.jpg (45.45 KiB) Viewed 6572 times

Haasome

Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:38 pm

Greg Y wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:58 pm Paul, The diamond shaped cleats, used to close cracks, when properly done are tiny. I've had guitars crack & had them repaired with no noticeable sound difference. That's my non-scientific evaluation. Attached is a photo of a very fine sounding '37 D18 that I sat opposite of for a week in Flagstaff recently in the hands of Winfield winner Peter McLaughlin.IMG_8979.jpg
That makes sense given how many great guitars have been repaired. I just see how obsessed we seem to be on forums regarding tap toning etc. I always had this question and this seemed like a good place to throw it at the “wall.”
Paul

12Frets

Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:41 pm

I've got a 000-1A that has the same crack. It was a humidity thing. I went out of town for work and we had a deep cold snap; the heater dried out the air so much that the crack developed virtually overnight.

I had it repaired with cleats by John Allison in Austin. The crack occurred 8-10 years ago, and it's been completely stable since then, but it's still very visible. I play the guitar daily and it's never affected the tone so far as I can tell, and I personally think it's an outstanding guitar. It's definitely a player's guitar and not a collectors guitar though. If I ever sell it, I'm expect to take a haircut because of the crack. I'd be happy to post a picture later if you're interested.

Hokiebob

Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:01 pm

The fact that you came here to talk about it indicates that this crack seems to bother you. It is likely that you will continue to wonder about the crack as long as you own the guitar. In the long run you might be better off getting your money back and looking for another. There are a lot of fish in the sea and life is too short to own a guitar that makes you wonder.
Bob